The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why Supra over say Skyline?

lucasdemoley

Hi guys,

I had a quick look to se if this had been covered before but couldnt really see anything.

Basicly, how come you guys chose supras over say Skylines? Ok, I personaly much prefer the look of the supra, but for the cost of a decent Supra TT Manual (say 8k) you could get a Skyline R34 Gtt or for the cost of a lower spec Supra (say 4k) you could pick up a Skyline R33 GTS-T. Also, from what i have seen looking about the parts for Skylines seem alot more available and are a fair chunk cheaper than for Supras.

So yeh, what made you choose a Supra? Also, If Im way off on anything above let me know as I'm totaly new to Supras!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do love the Skyline r34 GTR, a guy I know has one tuned to 500bhp, its a total beast (till he blew the engine!). Its down at another mates workshop so ive had a good look around it and would love one but theyr way out of my price range.

Are tuning bits for the supra on par with the Skyline or are they generaly more exspencive, and as far as the less tunner bits available for the Supra, does the option of improting bits mean that all the bits that are available for the skyline but not for the supra are Improtable, or are there somethings you just cant get hold of?

Out of interest, how are Supras to drift compared to a Skyline RWD? I have a couple of friends with R33 GTST's and a couple with RX7's, and I've been to a few events with them and it's defenetly something I'd like to give a try at in my own car.

They handle very nicely when driven properly. You will be needing a LARGE budget to drift one though.

On a more serious note, I think a lot of people go directly for Skylines on the back of the GTR and GTR V-Specs capabilities/notoriety. I know most of my friends think that all skylines regardless of models are GTRs.

If I could have one it would be a R33 R400 with the RBX-GT2 engine - MONSTER!!

Hi guys,

I had a quick look to se if this had been covered before but couldnt really see anything.

Basicly, how come you guys chose supras over say Skylines? Ok, I personaly much prefer the look of the supra, but for the cost of a decent Supra TT Manual (say 8k) you could get a Skyline R34 Gtt or for the cost of a lower spec Supra (say 4k) you could pick up a Skyline R33 GTS-T. Also, from what i have seen looking about the parts for Skylines seem alot more available and are a fair chunk cheaper than for Supras.

So yeh, what made you choose a Supra? Also, If Im way off on anything above let me know as I'm totaly new to Supras!

For all the reasons already mentioned, and a TT is quicker than a GTT there is no advantage in handling with the GTT as its RWD and has not got the fancy suspension of the GTRs. The N/A Supra is about on par with the GTS-T

IMO the only advantage the GTRs have over the Supra is there FWD and suspension set up, they can be very quick if enough money is spent, and will leave a Supra for dead on cornering ability, but spend 3 to 5K on each and the Supra will be quicker, spend another 10 and its the GTR every time;)

As usual on this forum of late, people cannot read.

This chap never mentioned any GTR.

R34 GTT- never really thought about it.

R33 GTS (or whatever nonclemature) well it's as ugly as sin, the interior is awful, it's a pretender.

Oh- parts prices- don't make me laugh, Skylines are far more expensive to fix, tune and run.

If I could have one it would be a R33 R400 with the RBX-GT2 engine - MONSTER!!

This do you? ;)

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/6231/cidimage010jpg01c87d891kr1.jpg

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/2694/cidimage011jpg01c87d891sd6.jpg