The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sonic Power

Scott

Ok i know they look a bit ultrachav looking but are they really as good as they are priced to be?

I was thinking about an apexi induction kit, as that was the one recommended for the MR2, but this blitz sonic power thing seems to have every box ticked.

Is it really that good?

Scott =op

Apparently on a test the biggest BHP gain on a Supra from an induction kit was from the Apexi at I think 14.5 BHP gain, also had best filtration rate, second was the Blitz SUS Power induction kit with 14 BHP gain. Personally I have the Blitz SUS (not the blue hedgehog one), and love the noise it makes being a steel mesh filer over the Apexi paper cone.

Yeah, i got the same info for the MR2... but....

http://www.twosrus.co.uk/images/58047_L.jpg

That one wasn't included at the time. The reason i think its highly regarded is because it has a heatsheild.

Anyone got any info on this filter? Anyone have one?

Scott =op

Never been mad on the looks of these kits, the SUS just looks nicer and sounds better lol. If the anodised red bits were purple I would be interested lol

See its the looks that totally puts me off. When i first saw it i thought it was some joke for a chav chariot, however, having read up on it a bit it seems that everything about it is all about functionality. Other than the colours lol.

Scott =op

Doesn't matter what the test conditions are. The figures can be taken with a pinch of salt but the best filter will always have the best results regardless of the conditions.

As long as all the filters were tested in the same conditions ;)

Scott =op

Whats your opinion of it?

Scott =op

Very good personally. I had a HKS on before and had traces of silt on the inside of the induction piping and inlet after about 500 miles. I replaced it with the sonic filter last year and have found no dirt inside. It makes a really nice induction noise and gave me a bit more HP. I don't have before and after results but I got 225.8HP on the dyno, which was the highest out of 4 n/a's. :)

"The filtration element is fixed inside a polished stainless steel heat shield which prevents hot air from the engine bay entering the intake and thus reducing inlet air temperature."

How does that work then? Unless the filter is ducted to draw air from outside of the engine bay surely it is going to suck in whatever air is there - hot, cold, or otherwise?

"The filtration element is fixed inside a polished stainless steel heat shield which prevents hot air from the engine bay entering the intake and thus reducing inlet air temperature."

How does that work then? Unless the filter is ducted to draw air from outside of the engine bay surely it is going to suck in whatever air is there - hot, cold, or otherwise?

OK so you`ve defined how the 'sonic' works but are you saying it`s better/worse or same as stock?