The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cheap tires and brakes

Wez

Hey All,

Just an observation of late.

People seem to be willing to spend hundreds of pounds on wrong fitment wheels, wheel spacers, shiny engine bits, loud exhausts, decat pipes, FCDs, boost controllers, custom interiors and crazy sound systems but wont spend money on brakes and tires :search:

Just wondered whats going on.

IMO tires and brakes are two of the most important parts.

When i first got my T88 supe it was on J specs:blink: not for long though:) last couple of cars ive had i went to the expense of fitting AP big brake kit before any modding started, first thing to mod imo:)

Was that just the front set?

If so, did you notice any balance problems having AP fronts and J spec rears?

Was that just the front set?

If so, did you notice any balance problems having AP fronts and J spec rears?

Never fitted AP's to the supe, that had D2 8pots which was pretty good imo, still had j-spec rears and had worked well, ask anyone that went in it;) did fit AP to the front of the EVO and just did front and rear to the Monaro:)

I've had just AP fronts fitted on mine for a few years. What I found is that because of the rearwards bias shift, you just go through rear brakes like no tomorrow.

I always drive conservatively on the road unless the road is straight and clear, so maybe haven't had to rely on the rears too much.

However I've now bought an AP rear kit which I'll be fitting once I've got the engine back in the car. Am looking forward to seeing how much difference they make.

I think people see potentially £3K for brakes as too much though, but there are plenty of less expensive options. It's all about setting a sensible balance, that I think most people get wrong. I just hope it doesn't cost them in the long run.....

I've had just AP fronts fitted on mine for a few years. What I found is that because of the rearwards bias shift, you just go through rear brakes like no tomorrow.

I always drive conservatively on the road unless the road is straight and clear, so maybe haven't had to rely on the rears too much.

However I've now bought an AP rear kit which I'll be fitting once I've got the engine back in the car. Am looking forward to seeing how much difference they make.

I think people see potentially £3K for brakes as too much though, but there are plenty of less expensive options. It's all about setting a sensible balance, that I think most people get wrong. I just hope it doesn't cost them in the long run.....

How much were the AP rears if you dont mind?

On the note of tyres ive got though my fair share over the years;) and ive always brought brand name tyres but tbh ive never really noticed a huge difference in grip between any of them, when new they all feel a bit sloopy on the limit but once a couple hundred miles on them they have been much the same for me.

Ive never tried any of these track based road legal tyres but ive always seen them as a compromise, dont fancy having them on in the wet.:)

I found a massive difference in grip with Eagle F1 GSD3s over Khumo Supras, both normal road tires.

Totally agree i've just spent 500 notes on some F1's and the difference is amazing over the cheapo ones that were on before! My first mod to my car 4-5 years ago was putting on the UK brakes! As i really couldn't live with the j-spec ones :blink:

Brakes is the one that does it for me. I cringe when I hear people mention EBC.

I definitely agree with you there, thats why I don't sell cheap tyres or brakes, I cannot honestly sell something I don't believe in.

Gaz.

I'm running EBC yellow stuff on Uk brakes with new standard discs and RE050 Fronts and Conti sport contact 3 rears, No problem with braking, Cold not as much bite as stock but warm definately better.