The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Considering selling the Supe - I may be going mental

jevansio

Not sure if I'm going mental here (no I'm not drunk again :D), but since I've done everything I could possibly want to the Supra it's losing it's appeal!!!

The thing is I cannot face putting any future problems right, it has taken me everything I've got getting it here & I feel exhausted. I guess the best time to sell it is when it is at it's pinnicle.

I love the Supra but I've taken an everyday car & turned it into this racing monster which although is exhillerating to drive, I cannot take to work everyday.

There's something else that bugs me too, the car is scary fast, I know it's most peoples dreams to have a car like this, but it is dangerous on the road, it can double the national speed limit in a matter of seconds, I know I could "drive it sensibly", but whats the point of having the power unless you're going to use it.

I've had a plan though. I don't think I give up Supra's totally. So I'm thinking of losing the Supe & replacing it with something less powerfull but just as beautifull, not sure what it'll be yet but whatever it is will remain standard. Then selling my day to day car which is an auto (great for going to work) & getting a black NA automatic Supra, I'd keep my Racing Harts & put them on, basically make myself a carbon copy of mine that I can drive everyday (hence get some enjoyment back out of the car).

Am I mental for creating this monster then realising at the end I can't enjoy what I bought the car for in the first place - driving round in a beaut black Supra?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if I'm going mental here (no I'm not drunk again :D), but since I've done everything I could possibly want to the Supra it's losing it's appeal!!!

The thing is I cannot face putting any future problems right, it has taken me everything I've got getting it here & I feel exhausted. I guess the best time to sell it is when it is at it's pinnicle.

I love the Supra but I've taken an everyday car & turned it into this racing monster which although is exhillerating to drive, I cannot take to work everyday.

There's something else that bugs me too, the car is scary fast, I know it's most peoples dreams to have a car like this, but it is dangerous on the road, it can double the national speed limit in a matter of seconds, I know I could "drive it sensibly", but whats the point of having the power unless you're going to use it.

I've had a plan though. I don't think I give up Supra's totally. So I'm thinking of losing the Supe & replacing it with something less powerfull but just as beautifull, not sure what it'll be yet but whatever it is will remain standard. Then selling my day to day car which is an auto (great for going to work) & getting a black NA automatic Supra, I'd keep my Racing Harts & put them on, basically make myself a carbon copy of mine that I can drive everyday (hence get some enjoyment back out of the car).

Am I mental for creating this monster then realising at the end I can't enjoy what I bought the car for in the first place - driving round in a beaut black Supra?

your not, i have the same feelings and i have not even picked mine up from the garage yet, i wanted to get it to the best it could be, and through the struggle of doing so it has lost its appeal to me, now i hope that will change when i pick her up, but sometimes i feel maybe move on to something more prestige, but will be keeping her for the summer as you should too:)

you need to race a big bike and then it will change your mind when they give you the thumbs up ....i have the same thoughts every 4 weeks , it must be the time of month for me......or do this buy a tt auto as a 3rd car ... thats what i did , cheap as chips now.

I don't think a TT is a good idea, I'd only end up modding it, I figured get an NA & modding isn't even an option.

I need to mull it over for a while, I need to make sure it is the correct decision, selling it then realising it was a mistake would be a right downer.

Anyone on here sold a big power Supra then realised it was a mistake?

loads of them i am afraid,and i am afraid to do the very same thing:( with hindsight i would have just built a track supe (may still do) but you need to think long and hard matey, its not just a car its your heart and soul thats gone into her;)

i sold my single which was running 593bhp at the fly, i now have a facelift bpu auto, it's so much more reliable and gives me pease of mind that i'm gonna get to my destination, it's plenty fast too, kept up with a 996 c4s today, even gained on him on the straights.

my single let me down on the way to dragonball when the front crank oil seal went, that was the final straw for the beast, she had to go and i don't regret it one bit.

if i had the money to keep a single then i would but i have better things to spend my money on than repair bills.

come on jay what are you on about.

I must admit sometimes mine scares me and its only running about 450 ish.

once you start modding its like a drug you always want more, not that I've ever used drugs ofcourse LOL.

if you like the car enough not to sell it have you considered detuning it to a sensible power output.

I need to mull it over for a while, I need to make sure it is the correct decision, selling it then realising it was a mistake would be a right downer.

Anyone on here sold a big power Supra then realised it was a mistake?

Yes my black one, i sold it for 2 reasons after everything was done kinda didnt know which way to go and after spending a massive amount of money was feeling the pitch so sold it and within a week i was kicking myself hense why am doing it all over again

You have actually just put the ownership of my car into perspective.

My car is a weekend car and i only occasionally take it to work. I don't intend on tracking it and i don't intend on having it on the 1/4 mile, cept maybe on the odd occasion with friends for a laugh and never for competition.

I'm in the middle of getting the interior the way i want it, i'm then going to move onto the bodywork and get that to a very high standard. Finally i will tweak the engine just a little bit to make sure its reliable and powerfull at the same time. Will mostly be servicing on the engine but a double decat will be a definite (thats all thats missing from BPU).

Anyway, if money wasn't an issue, i reckon i would be in exactly the same situation as you right now. If i had 600bhp i think it would be absolutely pointless and all it would do is cost me money. I never actually thought about it that way until i read this thread.

Of course there is always the bragging rights :D

Scott =op

I sold my single because it kept getting me in trouble with the plod. Also it really was not drivable every day and like too drink a bit at WOT which it was most the time.

It was too loud and always made you drive it like it was stolen which always gets u into trouble.

:lol: Jay you've turned into me :D

I wonder if it's those seats!!!! :D

i sold my single which was running 593bhp at the fly, i now have a facelift bpu auto, it's so much more reliable and gives me pease of mind that i'm gonna get to my destination, it's plenty fast too, kept up with a 996 c4s today, even gained on him on the straights.

my single let me down on the way to dragonball when the front crank oil seal went, that was the final straw for the beast, she had to go and i don't regret it one bit.

if i had the money to keep a single then i would but i have better things to spend my money on than repair bills.

If I do get rid I hope I feel like that afterwards.

Would taking the turbo kit off and selling it not be a better idea?

If its chasing the build you are after then by all means start over but, if not, why not take off the turbo and all the extra's that go along with it, sell them and go back to BPU?

Would be a lot less hassle than selling etc, and you just got all your sound system etc set up.

Scott =op

I could detune it John, but it would be a waste, somebody would love the car as it is, I've a funny feeling it's just not for me anymore. I'm going to take it to work everyday this week see how I feel (it's raining today so should be fun!!!) :)

Yes my black one, sold it and within a week i was kicking myself hense why am doing it all over again

That's what I'm dreading Wayne :(

You have actually just put the ownership of my car into perspective.

Of course there is always the bragging rights :D

Scott =op

You're spot on there, the car is mint for bragging about. I guess it's a bit like those wide kitted Supes, I'd love one when you see other peoples, but when faced with living with it day to day, its a different kettle of fish.

I sold my single because it kept getting me in trouble with the plod. Also it really was not drivable every day and like too drink a bit at WOT which it was most the time.

It was too loud and always made you drive it like it was stolen which always gets u into trouble.

I have a funny feeling mine is going to land me in jail or a coffin within the year, don't get me wrong I've never had a car like it, but at the very least if I come across an unmarked cop car it's licence gone even when I'm not nailing it.

It's like I'm starting to think like an adult, wonder if I've finally grown up :D

fancy mine in part ex Jay?

Yours is a stunning car, I'd prefer an auto, but could live with a manual I guess. My head is in bits at the mo but will def bear your offer in mind :)

How about just fitting a smaller turbo for day to day use and leaving the bigger one to track days?

GT35R would be fun but not lunatic.

You could easily just load the right map for the right turbo...

There's something else that I haven't mentioned so far either. There's so many other cars I want, I've always had a soft spot for a nice Corvette C5 (or even a 348), I'd have to get rid of something & the Supe is now prime candidate. I'm feeling like speed isn't as important to me now I've sampled what immense power is, it's a bit like, OK done that, time to move on.