The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New exhaust fitted, sound clips & pics

jevansio

One of 2 jobs I've just had completed on the car is a new exhaust setup. Basically the car was too loud to get on most UK tracks, so I went to a cracking place in Newcastle called AAS (Advanced Automotive Systems) to see the guys up there to see what they could do.

The car was measured at 108db when in went in @ 5000rpm. They've made a new backbox setup, it's much longer but maintains the 4" pipework from the HKS Ti Racing. The backbox has been made with a flange so that if I ever wanted to put the titanium tip back on it's an easy swap (they've altered my HKS tip with the same flange).

With this in place it's come out at 100db @ 5000rpm.

They've also put a 4" electronically controlled valve in the system, the controller is in the centre arm rest box and I just flick a switch either way to open or close the valve.

Videos:

This is a video of the valve in action from inside the car, Right Click here and Save Target As to download the better quality MP4 version, or click here for the YouTube version. It's a bit hard to get across just how quiet it makes it with the crappy microphone but the video gives you an idea.

It starts off quiet, then at about 20 second starts to get loud, 30 seconds quite again. I then blip the throttle on quite, then loud, then back to quite at the end. You can tell when it goes loud as the microphone on the camera starts to break up.

Here are some pics of it from outside, I asked Stu to try and replicate the HKS / Jap style as close as he can & I love the finished product.

So massive thanks to Stu & Alister @ AAS, I can highly recommend their work, if you're in need of any exhaust / pipework type stuff in the North East, give them a call.

:Plug:

Very nice mate, like trig said loving the gauges. Not sure if it was you, but can remember a post before saying they were going to do this. For the electronic control thing you didn't use a apexi gizmo did you? what did you use?

Many thanks :)

It wasn't an Apexi, it was a QuickTime Performance valve, I'll dig out the link for you, I think Paul Mac posted it.

Found it here :)

• 2 weeks later...
Many thanks :)

It wasn't an Apexi, it was a QuickTime Performance valve, I'll dig out the link for you, I think Paul Mac posted it.

Found it here :)

glad you have had a result with this mate, mine is sitting in the garage waiting to be fitted, did you get it with the LED position indicator as they didn't have any in stock when i got mine, the one thing i think peeps need to be carefull of is the quicktime is different from the apexi in that it is total closure and designed to re-route the entire exhaust flow through a dump tube arrangement, it will need a couple of holes drilling in the butterfly to let a small amount of flow like the apexi, any pics of the valve install and the in car controller

glad you have had a result with this mate, mine is sitting in the garage waiting to be fitted, did you get it with the LED position indicator as they didn't have any in stock when i got mine, the one thing i think peeps need to be carefull of is the quicktime is different from the apexi in that it is total closure and designed to re-route the entire exhaust flow through a dump tube arrangement, it will need a couple of holes drilling in the butterfly to let a small amount of flow like the apexi, any pics of the valve install and the in car controller

Does that mean that the apexi cannot possibly do any harm as even if closed will let through some exhaust gases?

Spot on i was wondering if anyone on here had been to aas. its not far from me so may take a trip down and see what they can do for me. what are their prices like?

AAS Have my car at the mo, it went in to check my diff which is now going to be replaced, their prices seem very reasonable as well.

Does that mean that the apexi cannot possibly do any harm as even if closed will let through some exhaust gases?

as long as you are sensible with it (i.e dont try hitting 1 bar boost with it closed) it will have no detriment at all, when i had mine on i found it increased low down torque as well, the reason i went for the quicktime that Jevansio has over the apexi is its electronic, my plan was to link it to the ecu and make it an automatic system

Cheers Paul, I just went with the basic in car controller (not the fancy one where you can set it to predetermined levels). Stu told me not to run it totally closed, he said it would be fine for a couple of seconds on idle, but not to leave it totally closed, I thought about drilling holes in it, might do that next time it's off.

I'll get some pics of the incar setup in a bit.

Cheers Paul, I just went with the basic in car controller (not the fancy one where you can set it to predetermined levels). Stu told me not to run it totally closed, he said it would be fine for a couple of seconds on idle, but not to leave it totally closed, I thought about drilling holes in it, might do that next time it's off.

I'll get some pics of the incar setup in a bit.

nice one, i am a gadget fan (can you have enough gadgets :D)so will defo get the position controller but they were out of stock till June !, i think it was about $120 so peanuts really, i will try and remember my remedial maths (or get my 11 year old daughter to do it:d) and measure the open area of the apexi and get some hole sizes to suit for the quicktime

nice one, i am a gadget fan (can you have enough gadgets :D)so will defo get the position controller but they were out of stock till June !, i think it was about $120 so peanuts really, i will try and remember my remedial maths (or get my 11 year old daughter to do it:d) and measure the open area of the apexi and get some hole sizes to suit for the quicktime

Thanks I'd appreciate that :)

Nice one mate..yea iv used them quite a bit in the past AAS they really do know there stuff.

Would do a link or info please bud. Mate in the NE just got himself a new toy, ie RX8 and I'm passing on details of the good people in the area. Envy etc. :)

Google doesn't bring up much.

Ta in advance.

Andy

Sorry about the mini hijack J :D