The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Blackwidow Supra

imi

OK, the time has come to bite the bullet and go for this mental upgrade.

I have already.

- PE 650cc injectors.

- HKS BOV

- AEM ECU with all the bits (intake sensor, map sensor)

- HKS 264 in/ex CAMs

- HKS Adj Timing Belt

- HKS Cam Pulleys

- Uprated Miami-GT SMIC

- Walbro Fuel Pump

- Aeromotive FPR

- Racelogic TC

- Jspec Double Decat

- HKS DLI

- BL T61 DBB 0.68AR

- HKS Hardpipe Kit

Original Post:

Need a single turbo kit - any other bits that I need to look out for when buying a single kit.

Was looking for a quick street setup, quick spool is important, low to mid is crucial however would be nice to hit 500-550 on the fly easily.

So was thinking on what single turbo kit.

- PHR Street

- PHR Stage 1

- BL T61 (AR 0.65 - is that a good AR to go for)

- BL T61 DBB

Any pointers would be appreciated, I will be ordering this kit over the weekend or by monday as I would like the work to commence in April.

Also looking to upgrade the brake discs and pads - open to suggestions here too.

Regards and thx for your help. Loads of reading up for me to do today.

Edited by imi
Looking for some advice. (see edit history)

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Reminder for me

source boost solenoid for AEM.

- an option http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200196085125&ssPageName=MERC_VI_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=200205759546&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=CategoryProximity&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m184&_trkparms=its%3DS%252BI%252BSS

Look into Turbo Blankets.

Multiple sets of Spark Plugs - Some nice Plats, perhaps coppers for tuning though (IK24 or similar)

Whats the deal with decats....do I need US Decats?

Look into Valve Stem Seals change kit - what about headgasket?

I have an apexi one in my garage, used to be used with my AEM. now i use a boost controller.

I would go for T61 DBB.

PM me with how much you are looking for the solenoid or perhaps you want to hand it over for pittence... :)

I am thinking the T61 DBB or been suggested the GT35R (0.82AR).

Guys

Need some advice on single turbo kits.

I have done a lot of reading however I am not clear about what is a better street setup without sacrificing the potential of the high-end performance of the turbo.

Looking at a Boostlogic T61 0.68 vs 0.81 AR

OR the above with a DBB option.

Other than the longevity concerns of the bearings on the DBB, has anyone else other than IAN C noticed a realistic difference in performance between a DBB and non-DBB on a T61 or similar sized turbo.

Also considering a PHR street kit - however the turbo is smaller than a T61 and it seems to run out of steam at the high-end.

Thing is imi, how are you going to use it? Are you really going to notice a turbo running out of steam at the high end? We're talking high-speed very high-hp levels here.

If you want an everyday streetable car with fast acceleration then the smaller turbo on a cast manifold makes more sense. It's still gonna pull 500+bhp and hit over 180mph quite happilly!

Thing is imi, how are you going to use it? Are you really going to notice a turbo running out of steam at the high end? We're talking high-speed very high-hp levels here.

If you want an everyday streetable car with fast acceleration then the smaller turbo on a cast manifold makes more sense. It's still gonna pull 500+bhp and hit over 180mph quite happilly!

This is a very good point Imi :)

Unless you're after a car that you're aiming to do hard pulls from 100+mph the T61 is going to be more than enough for your needs.

After owning the T67dbb, If I were to do it again I'd go for something that has the best possible spool and add a pair of higher lift cams and WI to allow the top end to be opened up more than most on here do on the T61 setup.

Wez's setup would be a good baseline to use if it's going to be a very fast street car rather than a motorway monster :)

So I take it that there isnt much to choose between any of these.

What shall I do about DBB or non-DBB regarding the T61.

Am thinking of going 0.81 AR, I will have 264 in / exh cams too.

the dbb will spool a bit quicker

the dbb will spool a bit quicker

only reason I got put off DBB is due to a thread where PHR said that DBB's are not reliable and prone to failure.

Having said that, I like a quicker spooling turbo (reference Ian C's comparison) with a slightly higher AR ratio and higher CAMs.....seems like best of both worlds....

only reason I got put off DBB is due to a thread where PHR said that DBB's are not reliable and prone to failure.

Having said that, I like a quicker spooling turbo (reference Ian C's comparison) with a slightly higher AR ratio and higher CAMs.....seems like best of both worlds....

mmmm not heard that one before:blink:

When discussing this with Terry some time ago he mentioned something about the dbb being pointless on a BL T61. Diminishing returns and all that...

On something like Wez's car going to a dbb isn't going to make any difference, it's already on the edge of providing too much torque too early and therefore making the car slower/difficult to drive to due to such massive, early boost pressure

What are your aims for the car Imi?

What are your aims for the car Imi?

Good Question....My car is a well tuned BPU at the moment. I dont want to lose the driveability completely of the twin especially when driving around london city, so low to mid range torque and power is important.

While on the same subject, I am spending a lot of money on the car so I would like the car to have good high end power (500 - 550) so that on trips abroad when I can open it up, it will pull into the 180's and get there fast.....I'm putting some 264 CAMS to make this happen - dont want to go too agressive and suffer poor idling....

Good Question....My car is a well tuned BPU at the moment. I dont want to lose the driveability completely of the twin especially when driving around london city, so low to mid range torque and power is important.

While on the same subject, I am spending a lot of money on the car so I would like the car to have good high end power (500 - 550) so that on trips abroad when I can open it up, it will pull into the 180's and get there fast.....I'm putting some 264 CAMS to make this happen - dont want to go too agressive and suffer poor idling....

Tricky one then, you want the best of both worlds ;)

One recommendation I would highly recommend is ask a few members for a passenger lift in their cars before making any decision. Start at a large single and work your way down to the quicker spooling ones (it'll help keep things in perspective that way) - then take your one for a drive and see where you want to aim for. As you have a 6spd, don't bother with getting a drive in an auto, it's not comparable.

Tricky one then, you want the best of both worlds ;)

One recommendation I would highly recommend is ask a few members for a passenger lift in their cars before making any decision. Start at a large single and work your way down to the quicker spooling ones (it'll help keep things in perspective that way) - then take your one for a drive and see where you want to aim for. As you have a 6spd, don't bother with getting a drive in an auto, it's not comparable.

Well said Homer :)

imi, if you can get to RAF Marham you'll can get a good idea of all them singles ;)