The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brake advice/opinions .

chris2o2

I currently have the standard J-spec brakes on the Supra , nothing special and not quite up to the job i've found a few times as im sure most of you know .

At the end of march i'm due a bit of money and would like my first "proper" mod to be a brake up-grade . I'll be looking to spend about £800 max . I've had a bit of a search on here and it seems up-grading to the uk spec is the most common step-up .

Should i just buy some Uk spec brakes and have a bit of change or is there others for this kind of money i should be looking at ?

Any advice or opinions are greatly welcome !

Thanks .

What discs and pads are you using?

You should only see an issue with jspec brakes after repeated heavy use where they dont have chance to cool down, decent discs (oem) and pads (cw) should be fine for road use.

I have 18' Oz Super T's just now .

Im sure the pads are TRD ones however the Disc's - no idea ? They do as you say initially bite quite well but one a longer journey you do notice they dont work so well after a bit . Maybe just some new pads and disc's then .

I had/have j-specs and they bite very well, but granted on high speed runs on my private test track they start to become well....rubbish

I have goodrich braided lines and some type of bigger aftermarket discs, they should defo do for BPU unless you start tracking her.

UK specs seem to be a good upgrade, but they also need to be setup properly, I know a friend who upgraded to the UK all round...they had worse bite than his J-specs...originally he only had the fronts which were terrible, setup from a guy in Glasgow I believe...

Thanks for the advice Gents :)

I seem to re-call the previous owners mentioning braided lines as well , need to double check that at one point though . I very much doubt i'll ever be hitting the tracks or anything like that, but i just want to know when i stamp on the middle pedal its gonna work well !!

Any disc/pad combo's that come recommended then ? I'm almost at BPU and wont be going much more powerful than that !!

Any disc/pad combo's that come recommended then ? I'm almost at BPU and wont be going much more powerful than that !!

To get the best out of the smaller brakes, I'd fit the following

1. Endless CC-X pads

http://www.endless-sport.co.jp/brake_pad/cc_x/img/photo.jpg

2. Standard OEM Brake Discs

3. Braided Brake Lines

4. TRD Brake Fluid

5. Either of the following braces for the brake master cylinder.

Cusco Brake Master Cylinder Brace

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/9974/attachmentphpnq1.jpg

Carbing Tower Bar (with built in brake master cylinder brace)

http://f10.putfile.com/7/18616374710.jpg

If I can help with prices on any of the above just let me know.

I would definitely recommend the braided brake lines. It seems to have made a huge difference for me. Plus its a relatively cheap mod :)

I use the Endless pads (if only I could afford the full Endless brake setup!!) and they seem very good, though I must admit I'm not sure how long they'll last - I fitted them last year and according to the MOT report I'm already down to 40% remaining and I dont do that many miles in my Supe.

When it comes to it, I'll probably replace the discs with new OEM one's and see how I get on from there. With a bit of luck I wont need to replace the Calipers as its expensive.