The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which car would you choose - SL55, 996TT or 360F1

4leks

Supra is a nice peace of kit but after owning one for 1.5 years now I'm thinking of smthng different for a change.

I must admit that speed & power is not everything....however still don't really want to downgrade in terms of power...but want something more luxury. Supra is nice car but we must admit it is 1993 technology and styling. However I'm not planning to sell Supe and already convienced my missus (fingers crossed) to have it instead of her coupe.

After carefull consideration the choice has been limited to 3 cars (well 4 cars but 3 marks):

- Merc SL55 AMG (black)

- Porsche 996 Turbo (coupe, tiptronic, black)

- Ferrari 360 F1 Modena (rosso corsa) or Ferrari 360 F1 Spider (grigio alloy)

Pros & cons:

Merc pros: cabrio but not fabric roof, price - can be picked up under £40k at the moment, reliability, power;

Cons: quite common, 2 seater only, Merc is not really a "drivers car"; maybe not really suitable for someone who is just 26 years old:d

996 Pros: maybe the quickest out of all 3 - deffo quicker than my TT under any circumstances , 4wd, practical (4 seater);

Cons: coupe - not convertable (cabrio looks terrible), very very common in my area especially bearing in mind very small difference between 25k ordinary 996 and 45k Turbo

360 Pros: it is Ferrari so you should own one once in the lifetime ;), imho one of the best exterior looking car in history, sound, presence, attention from public;

Cons: even good setup TT Supra could be quicker :D, running costs especially if smthg goes wrong, italian - so realibility could be poor, price, low nose for every day car in London

So what would be you thoughts, guys? What would you choose? I'm not doing more than 10k miles per annum including long trips abroad but will be using it as everyday car.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do they even make an automatic Ferrari 360 ?

Do u mean F1 paddle shift? Yes, it is an auto in theory, no clutch pedal (and also it say auto in V5 if I'm not wrong)

However F1 on F430 is much more advanced than the F360's F1 but imho F360 wz F1 is acceptable (post 2003 cars, or just do a soft update for the gearbox)

I would go for a Fezza 355

I was thinking of F355 - I love the look!

But it is very unrealiable, service is much more expensive than 360 and also F1 box is much worse.

Spider versions do also have a major problems wz roof mechanism

Cons: even good setup TT Supra could be quicker

No it isn't, not even close.

Do you only have an auto licence?

If you use the Ferrari every day you will struggle to sell it on when you want to change it, the german cars aren't afflicted with this problem.

I'd go for a manual 996TT.

Know a lad who had a 355, ridiculous waste of time as far as he was concerned. He cjanged to a 911 turbo and never looked back. Lookswise and from an exclusivity point of view obviously ferrari but i'd tend to agree to go with german reliabilty for somethin i'd not want to break my heart every few weeks

If you use the Ferrari every day you will struggle to sell it on when you want to change it, the german cars aren't afflicted with this problem.

agree

licence is not a problem - just don't want manual by other reasons

check out this blue one, i think its the nuts

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/376949.htm

i did see a 07 black amg 55 the other day though with the paddle shift and it was sweeeet,its still no 360 all the same ;)

the one which recently attracted my attention

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/371678.htm

the problem wz all Fezza's other than red is the saleability :(

some dealers not gonna touch any colours exept red

Oh, I'd go for the pretty Porka every time - but that is my personal preference.

Noise wise it would have to be the red horsey though, they do sound lovely, but when can you enjoy that lovely noise in London?

Nah, the Porsche gets my vote, refined, pretty, "spacious", practical, capable - its got it all. Plus you get all that power and hang the engine out the back, sounds like a cracking idea!

Do u mean F1 paddle shift?
Well I meant that you can only drive autos, you mentioned it once iirc.

I didn't realise Ferrari made any autos but I don't really follow the marque because I don't like the image their drivers have.

Also, a guy I worked with blew his life savings on an immaculate, low mileage, FFSH, 355. He said it wasn't the fun he thought it would be because everywhere he went people either bore him to death wanting to talk about the car or else they treated him with contempt for having such a cliché 'status symbol'.

After 2 months of ownership it dropped a valve and cost him 8k to have the head rebuilt. The love affair was officially over at that point.

If it's a daily car then you can rule out the Fezza :( The 996TT would be the best of the other two options IMO.

However, if it was a weekend toy and you're not concerned about running costs it'd be the Ferrari, no question!

I know someone who use 360 as daily car, not a problem. They are quite reliable aparently.

Obviously can not compare it to 996TT

360 is the most exotic but probably not an every day car (reliability and would you want to leave it anywhere), Porsche is probably the best allround car but i see at least 4 996/997 cars in Leeds everyday so probably a little dull, And the SL has the drop top looks with that lovely sounding v8 but doesn't quite have the prestige of the other 2 marques..I've always loved Ferraris, think the SL is THE best convertable on the market and despised Porsches for as long as i can remember........but if it was MY money i would buy.....the 996:search:.

I think i'm losing my mind.:)