The mkiv Supra Owners Club

protecting new paintwork

Golfpro

My car is just back from a full colour change respray and I was keen to give it the maximum protection.

Normally I would just wax with Autoglym once a year but as this is a brand new paintjob I would be keen to leave it in for one of the proprietory applications. Has anyone tried these sealers and can you recommend a spec?

For the first few months I'd wash using the strict two bucket method with a quality car shampoo (megiuars gold). Then I would put on a mild polish (megiuars again). Finally I'd cover with Wizard Shine Master. Apparently this gives very good protection, but doesn't seal like a more traditional wax. I wouldn't use a "proper wax" for a couple of months until the paint has definitely cured.

Don't use any drive in car washes. Don't let any numpties in car parks wash your car.

Don't use any drive in car washes. Don't let any numpties in car parks wash your car.

Definetly agree with these, when I had my beemer I took real good care of it, the finish on the paint was superb then one day I let a freind borrow it and he thought he was being nice when he took it through a car wash, the car was then covered in swirls and hairline scratches:(, then with my civic I took it to a hand car wash thinking they would be very carefull, well THEY were it was the chemicals they used that weren't it really badly marked a panel I had resprayed about a year prior and it looks like the paint has run all over the panel, but it's getting resprayed this year anyway so not too fussed.

I would be a little wary about megiuars we used this on our new House of Kolour paint job on the honda and it offered no protection at all from bird muck.

To be honest we found Autoglym the best to use until the paint hardens in a few months.

Believe me we have tried most of them and have a cupboard full of tried and tested products :blink:

I would be a little wary about megiuars we used this on our new House of Kolour paint job on the honda and it offered no protection at all from bird muck.

To be honest we found Autoglym the best to use until the paint hardens in a few months.

Believe me we have tried most of them and have a cupboard full of tried and tested products :blink:

Interesting, i've been in the same boat too, never gone for meqiuars myself so cant coment on that, but tbh i always thought it was over hyped anyway. Autoglym is good stuff, used that only my supra when i had a House of Kolor respray and it seemed to do the job (although you can never really tell tbh - might just have been down to the amount of times i washed it!!)

the best bit of advice would be more down to what type of sponge type product you use. That is the most important thing as its the scratches you want to aviod when washing. Try one of those mits, or what i find very useful is a builders grouting sponge! :D

I was really asking about the professional sealant treatments.

I see Autoglym do one called Lifeshine which they claim will give 5 years without waxing before needing to be redone.

It is probably reasonably expensive but would seriously save on elbow grease which sounds good to me.:thumbs:

My car is just back from a full colour change respray and I was keen to give it the maximum protection.

Normally I would just wax with Autoglym once a year but as this is a brand new paintjob I would be keen to leave it in for one of the proprietory applications. Has anyone tried these sealers and can you recommend a spec?

Where i work we sell Diamondbrite which carries a 6 year guarantee for your paintwork. Its a hard coating similar to the lifeshine where you dont need to wax or polish the car for 6 years, just wash with their shampoo and conserver. We used to use supaguard which although good only carried a 3 year guarantee.

PM me if you or anyone wants some

Where i work we sell Diamondbrite which carries a 6 year guarantee for your paintwork. Its a hard coating similar to the lifeshine where you dont need to wax or polish the car for 6 years, just wash with their shampoo and conserver. We used to use supaguard which although good only carried a 3 year guarantee.

PM me if you or anyone wants some

I have seen this one advertised before and it is possibly the one to go for. However I would rather get it done professionally rather than wreck my new paintjob by trying it myself.

Think you would be better off asking the question here.

I'm getting really into my detailing (perhaps a little too much) but these guys really know their stuff. I know that they would tell you not to bother with Diamondbrite or other similar products.

From what i have been reading, studying, practicing lately, these products that say they will protect your car for up to 3-5 years, really dont. The only way to provide proper protection and look after your new paint job is using the correct products, ie, wash mitts and never sponges to prevent swirl marks and scratches as much as possible, regular use of clay to prevent pollution attacking your paint and polishes and waxes that you find work best for your type and colour of paint, this will only come with trial and error.

A quick treatment which you may be considering will not beat good old fashioned, regular elbow grease. IMO....

I have seen this one advertised before and it is possibly the one to go for. However I would rather get it done professionally rather than wreck my new paintjob by trying it myself.

It's P*ss easy really, just takes a bit of time.

From what i have been reading, studying, practicing lately, these products that say they will protect your car for up to 3-5 years, really dont. The only way to provide proper protection and look after your new paint job is using the correct products, ie, wash mitts and never sponges to prevent swirl marks and scratches as much as possible, regular use of clay to prevent pollution attacking your paint and polishes and waxes that you find work best for your type and colour of paint, this will only come with trial and error.

A quick treatment which you may be considering will not beat good old fashioned, regular elbow grease. IMO....

Not neccesarily, we've been using diamondbrite for sometime and where bird droppings, contamination have damaged paintwork they have resolved or resprayed/repaired the affected area and recoated as per their guarantee. whether its durable enough i havent really seen that but a 6 year guaranteee from the date of application is pretty substantial.

what i find tricky Kosmic, and my comments arent meant to put people off this product, i'm simply curious. Is why they say it lasts for 5 years, but give you bottles to top it up every month?

It does create a good sealant protection yes, but i'm sure after a year or so of washing it will be long gone. I just feel there are far better products to protect your paintwork. Perhaps if someone is not prepared or does not have the time to lavish their car with time and care it truly deserves, then this may be a beneficial idea. But for the money it would cost, i would think it better to purchase some quality equipment for home use and be able to pamper it yourself.

You want a wax that contains no abrasives. something like p21 s, apply it with the applicator pad that it copmes with and buff off with plush concours buffing towels.

Get advice fromthe bodyshop as to when you can start adding sealant glazes to the paintwork as these offer the best protection.

You should always use the 2 bucket method for washing your car regardless of new paintwork or not.

what i find tricky Kosmic, and my comments arent meant to put people off this product, i'm simply curious. Is why they say it lasts for 5 years, but give you bottles to top it up every month?

It does create a good sealant protection yes, but i'm sure after a year or so of washing it will be long gone. I just feel there are far better products to protect your paintwork. Perhaps if someone is not prepared or does not have the time to lavish their car with time and care it truly deserves, then this may be a beneficial idea. But for the money it would cost, i would think it better to purchase some quality equipment for home use and be able to pamper it yourself.

That i agree with, for example diamondbrite give you a conserver bottle to use with the shampoo every few weeks to top of the coating on the car?! shouldnt really have to but i suppose they try and justify the 6 year guarantee by putting the onus on the owner to maintain the coating.