The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Innovative standalone WB AFR kit - help!

Guest KDW

I'm in the process of mounting my new Innovative WB standalone kit (XD-16), but it seems I'm missing something.

The first thing the manual tells me to do is: Connect the terminator plug to the serial IN port of the LC-1.

But there is NO terminator plug included in the kit!!

On the back of the manual it states that the terminator plug is en "extra" feature, WTF!? This can't be true if it's needed to install the kit. It just doesn't make sense.

If anyone have had the same experience or know what to do, PLEASE let me know.

Thanks guys.

you're right, it doesn't say it's extra. I thought it was listed under accessories but it's not.

The box had clearly been opened when I got it, so maybe the they forgot to put it back in from where I puchased it!

The big question is, will it function without the terminator plug?

Worth a try :) It's purpose could be one of two things - 1) prevent noise, which could be mistaken for a signal, or 2) to indicate that no other device is connected.

If #1 then it will probably work ok without it. If #2 then it may get confused :D

It's highly unlikely to affect the core functions of the LC-1, I'd expect it to affect the serial output if anything.

It would be easy to make one - it's just a 2.5mm stereo plug with the tip and the middle ring shorted together.

I haven't got mine installed yet or I'd try it out for you.

It will still Function without.

Just make sure you power up the unit without the wideband sensor plugged in and then after 20 sec power off. Then plug the sensor in and power on again. It will then do a heater calibration on the sensor and a free air calibration. After 30-60 seconds it should be done.

Ryan

I tried doing exactly what you described Ryan, but no result. I turn on ignition (power on), waited for more than a minute but no reaction on the display. Turned it off, plugged in the sensor hanging in free air, turned on again - but nothing at all, waited several minutes but it didn't do anything. just: --:--

I think when you're doing the calibration, it doesn't display anything on the gauge. Looks like you're supposed to wire up the switch and led (LC-1 quick start guide, step 3) and the led blinks etc to let you know what's happening.

Ryan says it works without the terminator... I believe him :)

I was not saying anything against what Ryan said :)

There's still scope for us all to be wrong then :D

Just that I can't see that there's any difference between hooking up to a PC vs a digital gauge - they both use the serial output. :search:

It shows CAL when the free air calibration is in progress or HCx for the heater one ;)

Ah, ok, sorry. I have an analogue gauge, and I haven't installed the WB yet. I was just going by the docs I have, which don't say anything about what shows on a digital gauge. :)

Oh, and another thing I got wrong :( It says that the calibration wire (switch and led) aren't needed when using a XD-16 gauge.

Just that I can't see that there's any difference between hooking up to a PC vs a digital gauge - they both use the serial output. :search:

We are all human ;)

No, I'm not saying PC v Digi gauge, you need the PC to configure the software which, is displayed through the gauge. The XD-16 has more features than my XD-1 so, am assuming here ;)

We are all human ;)

No, I'm not saying PC v Digi gauge, you need the PC to configure the software which, is displayed through the gauge. The XD-16 has more features than my XD-1 so, am assuming here ;)

Yeah ok don't rub it in :imsorry: ... but ... ;) what I meant was if the serial output works ok without the terminator on the input, it shouldn't matter if it's connected to a gauge, a PC, or a gauge and then a PC :search:

Didn't know you needed to connect the PC up to calibrate it though - from my understanding of the XD16 docs, pressing the button on the gauge while it powers up starts the calibration.

Ok.... Just had a look at the new LC1 Manual and it seems i am abit out of touch with the new gauges as they use a serial connection not just a 0-5v output like the old ones use too.

So the terminator plug HAS to be in the IN port of the LC-1 for it to send data by itself to the XD-16. If you don't have one at all, the terminator plug just shorts the left and right of the stereo plug together (shorting the two isolated wires together. The ground wire with shielding and no insulation should be left unconnected).

So if you have an old set of head phones you could make a terminator using the male plug.

Sorry about the confusion

Ryan