The mkiv Supra Owners Club

countdown to marham, the slicks arrived :)

Mike B

They look and feel very, very sticky.

Not much life in these, they are a bit of an experiment but certainly a lot cheaper than half a set of F1's, which just tend to melt.

Spent the next 30 mins after this pic with a heatgun and knife, cutting off all the snotters.

very surpised how light they are compared to normal road tyres.

DSC00001.jpg

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

Has anyone here had tired filled with nitrogen instead of normal air?

Me, every time, they have a nirtogen machine at the shop and I think I'm the only one that ever uses it.

I will get the slicks done with nitrogen as I think they will get quite hot.

The sizes are not 100% perfect, but I had a good look around and this was the best I could do. Still Si (bignum) uses 245 on the rear and said they go really well...

I wonder if they will be progressive or quite aggressive.... anyone close to me at Marham will be encouraged to give me a wide berth for the first few laps ;)

Me, every time, they have a nirtogen machine at the shop and I think I'm the only one that ever uses it.

I will get the slicks done with nitrogen as I think they will get quite hot.

The sizes are not 100% perfect, but I had a good look around and this was the best I could do. Still Si (bignum) uses 245 on the rear and said they go really well...

I wonder if they will be progressive or quite aggressive.... anyone close to me at Marham will be encouraged to give me a wide berth for the first few laps ;)

yeah will make sure i am well in front of you;)

That's what I call attention to detail! I just leave 'em, they soon scrub off in a couple of laps (on bike tyres, anyway).:)

Snotters they were, but I would hate to meet the nose they came out of. Looks like someone had run over a tray of hot rubber cupcakes. Some of them were the size of a mobile phone.. I needed to get them balanced so I thought getting the tyre round would be a good start! lol

Last time they saw use (BTTC so I'm told) they must have been warm as there are bits of gravel stuck in there like flies in amber.

Snotters they were, but I would hate to meet the nose they came out of. Looks like someone had run over a tray of hot rubber cupcakes. Some of them were the size of a mobile phone.. I needed to get them balanced so I thought getting the tyre round would be a good start! lol

Last time they saw use (BTTC so I'm told) they must have been warm as there are bits of gravel stuck in there like flies in amber.

All becomes clear.:D

The stuff I pick up is no bigger than a 20p piece.

Um whats the point of using nitrogen on a cars tyres? I could use it on mine every day but is there a point?

Those slicks don't look new did I overlook you saying they were second hand? OK reading all the posts helps yup they are second hand lol.

How long do slicks last anyways? Bearing in mind I scrubbed a set of p zero nero's on one track session is there much life left in those tyres?

Mike you`ll love em, just do a couple of laps to warm them up then let it rip, when i 1st decided to run slicks loads of people said how unpredictable they would be(like grip,grip,grip,, no grip), but ive never found that, also i normally start the pressures of fairly low like 28/30 and find after a couple of laps they go up to around 35/36 anyway which they seem to work well at but if you fill them with gas the pressure shouldnt change much.Ive done at least 6 or 7 days on mine and theres still life in them, just gone abit blue on the edges so may after swop them soon.

Thanks Si, i trust your judgment as I have seen you drive! I am looking forward to it :)

As to the life in them, the guy who supplied said you can take them to the canvas, just dont do top speed runs when they show canvas for obvious reasons. These were cheap (30 quid each!!) so I'll try them first, if they are good i'll buy some with lots of life in them and it will save me a lot over the next 2 years.

DB- nirogen doesn't expand as much as normal atmo, so pressures stay constant.

I have a list as long as my arm to get done before marham. If I didn't have to go to work it may get done, but right now it will have to be engineering before asthetics :)

you can't get the old girl running before Marham Si?

would be a good shakedown for her....

Well that just re-iterates to me how crap pirrellis are then. Mine quite literally lasted me a hot track session and that was them gone. Expansion with the nitrogen of course, I knew there was a reason I'd been filling aircraft tyres for 16 years with it :D Dutch use air as they don't care :( Hope ya all have a goodun at marham. I'd join you if time and funds permitted.