The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Had the Supra Detailed

Whitesupraboy2

Ive just simply copied and pasted his post in here. It looks so much better :)

When this gets sold in coming few months Im sure whoever gets it will be happy.

- - - - - - - - -

James asked me to detail the Supra as it had recently been resprayed and not been mopped. As a bodyshops main objective is to just give the paint some shine quickly and not about correction or the finer details like depth, gloss or protection. So I started at 8:30 Saturday morning as I knew it wasn't going to be easy given the shape of the car and how much paint there is!

A few befores

Once washed and clayed

Claying didn't pull much off as expected really considering the car had been resprayed around 6 weeks ago, but is worth doing to pull any surface contaminents off and get better contact with the paint. The only problem was that the clay was leaving marring in the paint, given that im not using an agressive clay I was quite supprised by this. It could be put down to the paint being relitively soft or that I wasn't keeping it warm enough, which was pretty tough to do consideing the wind yesterday. Luckily this is not going to leave any damage as its just on the surface and will polish off no problem :)

Marring

During polishing

After polishing

Once complete the car had an awesome gloss and glow to it

Wheels after

You really have to see this in the flesh to appreciate it

Could just be the images but it's not that impressive for me TBH. I have seen much better looking details. Don't get me wrong, the end product is good just not outstanding.

Who did the work?

What paint thicknesses before/after, any sanding?

I don't mean to pee on your fire - apologies if it sounds like it, as I said, it might just be the images.

Could just be the images but it's not that impressive for me TBH. I have seen much better looking details. Don't get me wrong, the end product is good just not outstanding.

Who did the work?

What paint thicknesses before/after, any sanding?

I don't mean to pee on your fire - apologies if it sounds like it, as I said, it might just be the images.

A hobbyiest detailer did the work and no sanding was done.

And I know what you mean by not outstanding and I can tell you the reason and it is not the detailer, the car is covered in a fibreglass shell almost everywhere... to get it 100% smooth (i.e the paint prep) would of cost me i would of thought around £10k from GVN and im not willing to spend that, maybe the next owner will

The reason most bodkykits get away with it is because the door skins are not replaced., however the door skins are on this so any small imperfections show through right down the car.

The car has been resprayed about 3 times I think now and everytime you have the same problem with having it 100% smooth. The paint is smooth dont get me wrong its like glass...just not on a totally smooth surface if that makes sense. I know why now these cars are so hard to get them to look good.

As much as id love perfection It will be very hard to get. Thanks for pissing on the fire...its firmly out :D

Looking good mate :)

Mines just had a mop, off to give it a scub and take some snaps!

What was your paint like before and after the mop?

I spent five hours giving my Supra (also silver) a damn good going over yesterday and once finished it didn't look any different to when I do a quick 20 minute wash & dry.

Did two washes & rinses with a super fandango Zymol shampoo, then a coat of Autoglym super resin polish then finished off with the autoglym ultra deep shine. Total waste of time and effort.

What was your paint like before and after the mop?

I spent five hours giving my Supra (also silver) a damn good going over yesterday and once finished it didn't look any different to when I do a quick 20 minute wash & dry.

Did two washes & rinses with a super fandango Zymol shampoo, then a coat of Autoglym super resin polish then finished off with the autoglym ultra deep shine. Total waste of time and effort.

Thats the thing with silver, they never look any different.:)

A hobbyiest detailer did the work and no sanding was done.

And I know what you mean by not outstanding and I can tell you the reason and it is not the detailer, the car is covered in a fibreglass shell almost everywhere... to get it 100% smooth (i.e the paint prep) would of cost me i would of thought around £10k from GVN and im not willing to spend that, maybe the next owner will

The reason most bodkykits get away with it is because the door skins are not replaced., however the door skins are on this so any small imperfections show through right down the car.

The car has been resprayed about 3 times I think now and everytime you have the same problem with having it 100% smooth. The paint is smooth dont get me wrong its like glass...just not on a totally smooth surface if that makes sense. I know why now these cars are so hard to get them to look good.

As much as id love perfection It will be very hard to get. Thanks for pissing on the fire...its firmly out :D

That's completely understandable and totally fair enough. I was more concerned for you had you paid a pro detailer a lot of money. As I said before, it does look good and will be a good waxing base.

That's completely understandable and totally fair enough. I was more concerned for you had you paid a pro detailer a lot of money. As I said before, it does look good and will be a good waxing base.

No probs, I knew where you were coming from, its not something your gonna be able to tell unless close and if you get that close please dont point it out :D