The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fitting component speakers

SupraGirlie

Hi,

Just bought some Focal component speakers and wondering where would be the best place to mount the tweeter and crossovers. I've searched and searched in Ice and Technical but I've had no luck :(

I have the 17cm brackets also. I'm guessing these simply drill/screw onto the door? Any other tips for mounting these so I don't get any weird vibrations or anything like that?

If someone could provide some pics or perhaps any useful links that would help me out that would be great.

Thanks

Ok, removed the weird plastic bit and got the wooden bracket on there with the speaker on. Only thing is, the wires for the speaker and the plug are on the plastic bit i removed. I take it I just cut the wires on this and the plug off the door and join the two together? I have a pink and purple wire going into a plug on the door, which one is + and - or doesn't it matter?

Thanks for the help guys.

Thanks Trig.

Any suggestions on where to mount the crossover? I was thinking behind the wooden bracket somewhere... perhaps even screwed onto it. There's quite a bit of room behind there now that plastic bit is out the way.

Sorry for all the questions, just wanna make sure i do it right.

Cheers

Also, the wires coming in from the door just go straight into the crossover. Then from the crossover to the tweeter and the speaker. Is that right? Again, sorry for sounding like a complete noob.

Cheers

Is this right? Just want to make sure i get this right.

Ta

Ok, removed the weird plastic bit and got the wooden bracket on there with the speaker on. Only thing is, the wires for the speaker and the plug are on the plastic bit i removed. I take it I just cut the wires on this and the plug off the door and join the two together? I have a pink and purple wire going into a plug on the door, which one is + and - or doesn't it matter?

Thanks for the help guys.

I was fitting some 2-way speakers yesterday using the group-buy speaker brackets. From memory, I'm 95% sure that the purple is the - and the pink is the +. If you've got a multimeter, you can confirm this by doing the following: take the old speakers (and plastic sound box they sit in) off the car; assuming you've cut the old speaker's loom-side plug off, insert the plug back into the socket in the sound box; remove the speaker from its sound box, and unplug the red and black cables from it (easy to re-attach later if you want to: the terminals are different sizes so you can only do it one way) ; test the resistance across, say the red wire and one of the wires just poking out from the cut-off plug. If the resistance is low, you've found the +.

... or you can just trust my hunch above! :D

I was fitting some 2-way speakers yesterday using the group-buy speaker brackets. From memory, I'm 95% sure that the purple is the - and the pink is the +. If you've got a multimeter, you can confirm this by doing the following: take the old speakers (and plastic sound box they sit in) off the car; assuming you've cut the old speaker's loom-side plug off, insert the plug back into the socket in the sound box; remove the speaker from its sound box, and unplug the red and black cables from it (easy to re-attach later if you want to: the terminals are different sizes so you can only do it one way) ; test the resistance across, say the red wire and one of the wires just poking out from the cut-off plug. If the resistance is low, you've found the +.

... or you can just trust my hunch above! :D

Thanks mate :thumbs: