The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Substitute for HKS air filter?

Guest KDW

My filter is due for a change pretty bad, but I don't want the HKS unit on there anymore. I would like something that will actually filtrate and not letting crap into my engine like the HKS does. But in the same time it has to be free flowing enough to support 900+ BHP.

As you can see from the picture below there's not a whole lot space to work with, but surely I cannot be the first guy to be in this situation right, so what do people usually do? I checked out KN but it seems they don't even have a filter that will support those kind of numbers, at least not in a size that will fit into my engine bay.

http://peecee.dk/uploads/032008/DSC00463_big_thumb.JPG

I went from HKS to K&N to support my needs, the filter I was recommended by them supports 400 bhp for an NA engine (which equates to 800 bhp for a forced induction engine), & they have bigger. Try contacting K&N direct to see if they can support 900 bhp (you did realise the figures they quote differ between NA & forced induction engines?).

Are you managing 900+ through the stock inlet manifold OK?

Also are you managing 900hp+ through that filter, I didn't know 1 HKS mushroom could support that much airflow?

I can't see the photo properly.

What about one of these

M's Super Filter

http://www.gruppem.co.jp/pr_images/fhc_cutmodel_en.jpg

Blitz Sonic Power

http://www.blitz-uk.co.uk/images/products/productimages/main/Sonic_P1.jpghttp://www.blitz-uk.co.uk/images/products/productimages/main/SONIC_P2.jpg

I didn't realise that KN quoted N/A's and that it would differ that much from F/I. Thats a good thing, I guess it won't be a problem then. I saw a KN filter quoted at 600hp.

I'm not making 900 on stock inlet, best was 841 bhp on race fuel. Inlet is the very next mod though, so I want a filter that supports every little drop of juice I can squeeze out of this tubby.

Nic: That looks plain silly IMO, not my taste.

I would definately give them a ring, explain your goals & they should be able to suggest a filter to suit. It will probably be one of those long cones, which will mean shortening that black intake pipe, but it looks like you have quite a bit of free room in that area. A cold air box for it (with cold air feeds) would help too IMHO.

Sounds impressive though mate :thumbs:

Most filters with a 4" inlet will be ok for your needs, K&N, AEM and Pipercross all do off the shelf cones with this neck diameter. My K&N split as did a few other members, some replaced with AEM units, I currently use a Pipercross unit.

Nic, do those filters have a 4" inlet and outlet?

I take it we are talking american horse power here. There is no way that turbo is big enough to push a real 840 horses out. AFAIK the stock manifold won't flow that sort of air either. I don't see any major fuel lines coming in either. I see also that you have the old style HKS cam gears that wear out and shred cambelts.

Dangerous Brain: What is the purpose of your post? If you're not going to contribute to the topic then please don't post..

But just for the record, no it's not US HP, it's Danish and it DOES in fact push 840bhp. stock inlet, modified stock rail w/ 1000cc injectors & dual walbro's.

BTW, the picture is old, it's from when I picked it up in UK last year.

Okey dokeys. You are pushing 840 horses out of stock fuel lines and the stock manifold... Fair enough someone want to sell this man a 900 horse power filter as he clearly needs it then. My point my good man is that my car was advertised as a 600 horse power car. Funnily enough when dyno'd its actually only 460. If I was to go around wasting my money on products for a 600 horse power car I'd be relieved of my money for no good reason.

If you had a built engine, with a larger freer flowing manifold, a totally upgraded fuel system etc etc then yeah you'd also need an air filter to go with that. If you had spent that sort of money on a motor to get that sort of power you wouldn't really need to be asking about an air filter as you'd already have at your disposal very good solid advice from the people that built the car.

But if you like spend your money how you want.