The mkiv Supra Owners Club

J Spec Brakes refurb kit required

Supra-Brett

Hi all

Just bought a set of used J spec brakes from Holeshot complete with Chris Wilson pads. The plan was to clean them up, paint them silver, refurb the seals etc and then replace my existing ones.

The pics as i bought them are below

cid_image001[1].jpg

Today i cleaned up one of the calipers with a drill wire brush attachment. Now they look a lot better

100_1042.JPG

Im going to paint it with silver smooth finish hammerite tonight but after that i will need to get hold of a refurb kit from somewhere. Ive seen the excellent guide to refurbing jspec brakes on here, but the question i have is - How much is a refurb kit and where do i get one from ?

Ive also seen posts that mention shim kits. What are these ?

Steve Manley is where you get the refurb kit. 01865 291333

Inchcape Toyota.

Will cost about £66 for fronts and rear kits. ;)

£66 seems a bit steep. I thought that it only comprised of 3 x rubber seals and 1 x wire fastener (therefore 12 bits of rubber and 4 x wires). Is this correct ?

£66 seems a bit steep. I thought that it only comprised of 3 x rubber seals and 1 x wire fastener (therefore 12 bits of rubber and 4 x wires). Is this correct ?

£66 is steep, if you can wait a few weeks I can do quite a bit cheaper.

Shim kit fits behind the pads, it prevent the brakes from squealing.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive now painted the calipers (pics to follow), and have removed the first piston. Removing it was a nightmare. It wouldnt budge when i pulled it with plyers from the front, so in the end, i had to insert a screwdriver into the hole at the back where the brake cable attaches and push the piston out. This was very hard also.

Inside the piston was clean but the fluid was black. Is this normal ? Or must dust have got past the seal over the years ?

Then i tried to remove the second piston by pulling it with plyers from the front. The second one wont budge at all, and there is no hole at the back of it with which to push it from the back. Any advice on how to get it out ?

Guest Jason-B
Ive now painted the calipers (pics to follow), and have removed the first piston. Removing it was a nightmare. It wouldnt budge when i pulled it with plyers from the front, so in the end, i had to insert a screwdriver into the hole at the back where the brake cable attaches and push the piston out. This was very hard also.

Inside the piston was clean but the fluid was black. Is this normal ? Or must dust have got past the seal over the years ?

Then i tried to remove the second piston by pulling it with plyers from the front. The second one wont budge at all, and there is no hole at the back of it with which to push it from the back. Any advice on how to get it out ?

Heat and/or leave to soak in penetrating fluid overnight. Loctite freeze and release worked on my calipers for me

Is pulling with pliers the correct way of removing as caliper? :blink:

The brakes are possibly the most important part of your car dude, do it right or get someone who can!

Not sure what else to use. A mechanic i know said just use plyers on the exposed bit of the caliper and pull, but not ever having done it before im not sure just how much pressure is needed