The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hello from Supra Engine Aristo Owner! :D

Anees

Hi guys,

Just popped in to say hello to everyone! :)

I have recently bought a Mk2 Aristo V300 TT from a forum member on Lexus Owners Club (after spending 4 days on the phone to insurance companies trying to get a decent quote!). The pics I have are not great, but its just a standard looking car....for now ;)

I have been on Lexus Owners Club since 2004 so you might recognise the username. The Aristo is a hell of alot of car for the money.

I have a few pics from last week - sorry its dark!

image That speedo is in miles! 180 mph :D

image Tuning the TV in, but I couldn't pick up a channel :( ; it did start working in Oldham however

image Remote for Sat Nav and TV

image Sat Nav

image Turbo Timer

image Bright Factory Xenons!

image The spare key is the same as the one I used to have on my fippin' Starlet! :p

Its not quite the car I want it to be at the moment - its too quiet and refined that you don't get the feeling of just how quick the car is and the handling, braking all need improving.

The limits really are only constrained by how much I am willing to spend (which is worrying! lol) Currently on the look out for UK spec Calipers ;)

Look forward to being on here!

Anees

Hi mate,

The trouble I had was that:

1) My No Claims (6 NCD) were used on my main car (BMW 330D ;))

2) I am 25

3) My Postcode was crap - a few companies wouldn't even quote because of the post code. Yet we have not had a car stolen in our steet since.......er........er....actually NEVER since 1992 when we moved in. But it is shared by the council estate which is a mile down the road which I think was the problem.

4) I did have 1 years NCD I could use, but couldn't use my 6Yrs NCD obvioulsy.

Rang what felt like every flippin insurance broker in the UK (found a list on the internet), those Call connections people, A-Plan, Adrian Flux, Sky, Keith Micheal etc basically you name it I tried it. They all talked about mirroring my no claims on my main car to this one but none of them managed to do it.

Amazingly Swinton Insurance (who I would never have thought of :lol:) gave me a quote of £1165 (5000 mile restriction) which was substantially better then the £2600 to £4650 range of quotes I had had before! They have a Performance car section which seems really good and were very helpful - I was just expecting to be told NO.

I still had trouble because the underwriter (Marker Study?) wanted to know the power of the car.....

He went on the internet and found Yoshi's website (http://www.lexusvertex.com) and said the car has 450bhp and I couldn't get insured!! I had a serious of email conversations with them and I told them it was "offically 280bhp" which it is. The underwriter came back and said their new info said it was a 423bhp import based on the UK GS430 which the same power so again withdrawal of the insurance offer. I explained that the UK GS430 actually has 279bhp not 423bhp! FINALLY thanks to the internet and the LOC forum I found the orginal JDM brochure for the car back when it was made and that stated 280PS (the rest was in Japanese :lol:) which the Underwriter couldn't argue with since it was direct from Toyota!

Oh yes....... the saga didn't end their, they also wanted me to prove 2 years of driving high performance cars! My BMW counted as a year and my old insurance companies were supposed to fax them confirmation that I have driven another 200+bhp car.

Thing is that low down my BMW (which is an absolute torque monster) does feel quicker so that makes me laugh all this hassle over a 10 year old car.

I also had to have a Cat 1 alarm, which this car does......

When the policy documents came through however - all they asked for was my proof of no claims (1 year) and thats all! I was expecting to have to send them Thatcham certificates for the alarm and letters from old insurance companies to confirm I had high performance cars in the past........... send the proof back 3 weeks ago and everything seems fine...... got my certificate through.

Phew.......it was a hassle - but hope it shows how much I wanted the car (and it was a bargain too ;))

The worrying thing is that I can quite easily spend what I paid for the car in mods - car may have been cheap but the mods are not :(

Anees

Well we do like to help you guys out with engine information, after all we've had them two years longer :D

Funny how you don't see many Supra owners joining the dedicated Aristo forums for tech help thought isn't it?

Did you see 5th Gear this week BTW?

:innocent:

"Never in it's 20 year history has Lexus ever made a car that really turned people on"

OK you are badged as Toyotas but it just goes to show it takes more than an engine ;)

CB4coD2cCng

I'd also like to point out that I actually really like the newer Aristo that the original poster has and all of the above is simply harmless banter. If I ever set up a taxi company an Aristo would be on the cards.