The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK Turbo 'death' noise?

DannoSupra

mine blew 2 weeks ago, doing 70 and gentley accelerating. its bo**ocks when they say you get a cloud of smoke in the mirror and a big bang. i never heard anything. people where telling me to check for shards in the back box, and all things like that. fact was i had the first cat on and nothing gets past the cat anyway. check all your pipes atleast 100 times. if they are ok it's the grim reaper that has chopped up your turbos!

Are they still making boost? If not it could be just an IC hose that has blown off.

It wont run with IC pipe off... UK MAF! :p

I'll have a good look this weekend, need to put the 1st turbo pipe back on the car anyway, i got sent the wrong one back. Might be something to do with that

I believe the uk spec turbos very rarely fail catastrophically i,e lots of little pieces if they are looked after properly due to them being steel bladed and not ceramic like the jspec ones mine had done 145k without failing and no blue smoke running 1.2 bar for the last 50k miles. All i did was allow them to warm up cool down properly and oil change every 5k

Chris

It wont run with IC pipe off... UK MAF! :p

I'll have a good look this weekend, need to put the 1st turbo pipe back on the car anyway, i got sent the wrong one back. Might be something to do with that

It will.....just lumpy as F**k.:)

Well yeah hehe, its happend before!

Dunno, it doesn't happen all the time, it might be just me, AND it's only done it since puttin Ind Kit on!

Just too add, ive been changing oil and filter every 4-5k/6months... And letting her warm up before setting off, and a cooldown period!

See how it goes

It will.....just lumpy as F**k.:)

Mine barely ran when I blew an IC hose off. If left to idle it stalled, and wouldn't get over about 10mph (happened on the M-way too :blink:) with foot on the floor. Completely undriveable until the AA man turned up with his tool kit, as I had none on me :D

Mine barely ran when I blew an IC hose off. If left to idle it stalled, and wouldn't get over about 10mph (happened on the M-way too :blink:) with foot on the floor. Completely undriveable until the AA man turned up with his tool kit, as I had none on me :D

hahahaha SNAP!!!! :p

hahahaha SNAP!!!! :p

As this is my first turbo'd car, I had no idea what an IC hose blowing sounded/felt like. Had a rather large brown trouser few seconds - stuck behind a car doing about 60 in the outside lane, waited for him to pull over then booted it. Car kicked down, turbos spooled up, started to pull away nicely when BANG:Pling: followed by a loss of power, revs wildly going from about 1500 to 3000 on their own.....

I was just passing the 300 yds marker sign of an exit, so I dived off sharpish into Sainsburys car park, which is where I figured it wouldn't idle or re-accelerate once I'd slowed down.

It happened to me at about 120 on the motorway with the T04R running 1.2 bar, It was an almighty bang and i thought i had blown the engine up!

I pulled into the lay-by and popped the bonnet, luckily it was the pipe from the turbo to the wing so i noticed it straight away.

It happened to me at about 120 on the motorway with the T04R running 1.2 bar, It was an almighty bang and i thought i had blown the engine up!

I pulled into the lay-by and popped the bonnet, luckily it was the pipe from the turbo to the wing so i noticed it straight away.

Mine was just before the inlet manifold, down about 4 pipes (it felt like there were hundreds for some reason!), and wasn't obvious at all. Had to go digging to find where it was.

And the bang it makes is ridiculous! I seriously thought something major/expensive had just happened!