The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Clear Rear Lense Project

GUMBALL3000

Hey guy's..

I'm considering a project on my pre-facelift rear lights, which invloves replacing all the rear lenses with clear reversing lenses, and lighting with the appropriate coloured bulbs.

So on the lookout for any clear reversing lenses if anyone knows of any available to buy, or very cheap complete units I can remove the lenses from.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated.. Has this been done before??

Thanks!! :D

I believe it has been done a few times before, some with better results than others.

Assuming you already have a set of J-spec pre-facelift rears (on your car), you will need :

1) another identical set to change the reverse lenses with the indicators.

2) two sets of UK spec rears to replace the two red lenses.

J-specs rears are easy to come by (£30 for full lights), occasionally the clear lenses become available on their own. Uk specs command a higher premium due to scarcity.

The bulbs used to replace your existing plain ones will make all the difference IMO. I've seen it done with red and amber bulbs, which I think looks rubbish. Chrome bulbs that flash amber are easily available for the indicators, but I've yet to come across chrome bulbs that are red when illuminated (I haven't looked particularly hard TBH, I guess you could make your own).

If you change each lens you are effectively removing the rear reflector (which I presume is an MOT requirement, perhaps you could stick on some red reflectors for the test).

There are guides on here detailing exactly how to carry out the whole operation.

Good luck.

What have you got just now?

As it is not as simple as just buying any clear lenses. You will require 4 x UK reversing lights and 2 x J-spec reversing lights.

Oh.. Didn't know that.. Why is that?.. Sorry if it's a dumb question..

I currently have standard UK pre-facelift rears fitted.

Thanks for your reply!!

I believe it has been done a few times before, some with better results than others.

Assuming you already have a set of J-spec pre-facelift rears (on your car), you will need :

1) another identical set to change the reverse lenses with the indicators.

2) two sets of UK spec rears to replace the two red lenses.

J-specs rears are easy to come by (£30 for full lights), occasionally the clear lenses become available on their own. Uk specs command a higher premium due to scarcity.

The bulbs used to replace your existing plain ones will make all the difference IMO. I've seen it done with red and amber bulbs, which I think looks rubbish. Chrome bulbs that flash amber are easily available for the indicators, but I've yet to come across chrome bulbs that are red when illuminated (I haven't looked particularly hard TBH, I guess you could make your own).

If you change each lens you are effectively removing the rear reflector (which I presume is an MOT requirement, perhaps you could stick on some red reflectors for the test).

There are guides on here detailing exactly how to carry out the whole operation.

Good luck.

Oh.. I see now.

I have UK rears fitted, so will have to do the vice-versa, I presume.

I have some chrome effect tail/stop/fog bulbs that illuminate red.. They are now readily available to buy.

I have seperate rear reflectors fitted to the car.

Are there any pics on here of this conversion?

Thanks!!

I think the LED conversion (Heckler) would be much nicer looking than the clear look

If I had standard lights it would definitely be something I'd look into - I might give it a go myself one day.

Thanks guy's!!

Mmmm.. Not too sure about that now.

Maybe jap spec with clear indicator conversion, with the 2 reds in the middle will look better??.. I've seen pics of this conversion, and think it looks ok.

A nice, easy, cheap compromise I think.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/vbpicgallery.php?do=big&p=9304