The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Partial or full respray?

simbasupra

Hi, posted a thread up about my car being damaged a while ago:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=136345&highlight=builders

Have now been given the go ahead for the work to be carried out. It is booked in for monday to have the following work carried out and paid for by their insurance:

n/s, roof, front bumper, washer jets removed, black plastic colour coded.

However due to the vehicle being 12 years old i don't think they will get a good colour match. Therefore i have asked how much extra it would cost me for a full respray. They said if i paid for the parts and an extra £300 they would do the whole car. If you were in this situation what option would you choose? Also do you think this is a good price for the extra work?

Plastic looks different to metal anyway. But TBH, i would be worried about where your having the car done.

I charge 4.5K for a respray and about 7 for a colour change. (but refuse to do supra's) Just please make sure they remove the window etc.

I would always worrry about colour match and yes on an old car its even more of an issue.

Will be a full same colour respray. Pig, would you be able to do a quick list of things they would have to remove in order to do a proper job please. (windows, trim etc.) I will propably take time off work to make sure it is done properly. Just want to know what to look for. thanks.

Edit... Also why do you refuse to do supras?

For £300 to get an even colour all over.... Do it, makes sense, you will only sit there spotting colour fades otherwise :) (But for £300 I'd just expect a blow over rather than a fully prepped respray)

He says he will be sanding down and doing it from primer again. However will hopefully be around to ensure this. He may be doing it slighty cheaper as we use him for all our work jobs aswell.

He says he will be sanding down and doing it from primer again. However will hopefully be around to ensure this. He may be doing it slighty cheaper as we use him for all our work jobs aswell.

Hmmm, why primer? There should be no need to use primer again unless he takes it all the way back to metal. However if he is doing all of that for £300 TAKE IT. Just watch the quality carefully.

Hmmm, why primer? There should be no need to use primer again unless he takes it all the way back to metal. However if he is doing all of that for £300 TAKE IT. Just watch the quality carefully.

Will do:sly: Will have to double check and make clear what he is doing before i let him have it.

in that case go for it, as long as he knows your intent on having a good job and you know each other, your more likely to get one;)

I picked up some rear calliper pins from your place a couple of hours ago and saw your car - other than the passenger wing mirror I honestly didn't notice any damage :blink: I was gonna say hi but I was hungry so wanted to get home :D

Edit: As others have said, for the price, you'd be mad not to, just watch the quality

I picked up some rear calliper pins from your place a couple of hours ago and saw your car - other than the passenger wing mirror I honestly didn't notice any damage :blink: I was gonna say hi but I was hungry so wanted to get home :D

Edit: As others have said, for the price, you'd be mad not to, just watch the quality

LOL. I was stood just behind the counter the other side of the wall. I heard the service host talking to the parts manager saying a "young guy" had come to collect their calliper pins, must have been you! Yeah the Supra is looking a bit sorry for itself at the moment with the one white mirror:D and a couple of dents. It was absolutely filthy aswell but cant be bothered to clean it till Sunday before it goes in for the respray. Definately pop in next time though.

LOL. I was stood just behind the counter the other side of the wall. I heard the service host talking to the parts manager saying a "young guy" had come to collect their calliper pins, must have been you! Yeah the Supra is looking a bit sorry for itself at the moment with the one white mirror:D and a couple of dents. It was absolutely filthy aswell but cant be bothered to clean it till Sunday before it goes in for the respray. Definately pop in next time though.

That'll have been me, and look about 17 (still get ID'd buying beer) :D

I was going to take a pic of my Supra parked up in front of yours but I'd have no way of getting it on my PC. Will give you a shout next time I'm that way!

Also, how long have you worked there? You wouldn't know Laura would you? She used to work there and I bought my Supra off her :)

That'll have been me, and look about 17 (still get ID'd buying beer) :D

I was going to take a pic of my Supra parked up in front of yours but I'd have no way of getting it on my PC. Will give you a shout next time I'm that way!

Also, how long have you worked there? You wouldn't know Laura would you? She used to work there and I bought my Supra off her :)

You sound the same as me:D Quite funny when i pull up. I think people are expecting someone a bit older when i get out. Been working there for 3 and a half years i think laura must have left before i started because i've never heard of her. Good job you didn't take a photo your's would have shown mine up in it's current condition:D

You sound the same as me:D Quite funny when i pull up. I think people are expecting someone a bit older when i get out. Been working there for 3 and a half years i think laura must have left before i started because i've never heard of her. Good job you didn't take a photo your's would have shown mine up in it's current condition:D

She must have done. I've known her about 16 months now and she's not worked there during that time.

I get people double taking when they see me in the Supra - looks of "how young is that guy"!

Mine's looking mighty shiny at the minute, yeah :cool:. I'm looking for any excuse to drive it so I'm signing up for as many meets as possible :D You thinking of heading to the Fleet Meet/SEM coming up?

She must have done. I've known her about 16 months now and she's not worked there during that time.

I get people double taking when they see me in the Supra - looks of "how young is that guy"!

Mine's looking mighty shiny at the minute, yeah :cool:. I'm looking for any excuse to drive it so I'm signing up for as many meets as possible :D You thinking of heading to the Fleet Meet/SEM coming up?

Havn't had the Supra long and will definately be going to future meets but probably not this one mate. Want to get the Supra looking respectable before i go on any:). On future ones i will probably bring my mate aswell he owns a white UK Auto. Perhaps we could all travel to one together in the future? Due to i get lost easy on my own:D