The mkiv Supra Owners Club

fuel lines

mintedm

take it these are the slightly larger pipes that run next to the brake pipes , if so these look a bit rotten on mine and possible mot failure, am i cheaper and less hassle replacing these with braided lines?

N/a 93 car

Stock fuel lines aren't expensive (£100ish IIRC) but it's an expensive job from a labour point of view.

Search on here as there's plenty of pic's and other info.

The lines to and from the fuel hanger can be a real pain. What are you replacing them with - stock?

It's very unusual there's a problem with these, what has happened to them?

yes just on the corner before they go up the back of the axle looks a bit suspect might try clean it up first

yes just on the corner before they go up the back of the axle looks a bit suspect might try clean it up first

I think this might be the same point Paul Mac pointed out last week as a corrosion point on his brake lines. Was it at a point where the plastic holder allowed dirt to build up on the lines? It might just be surface corrosion (though still pretty rare on imports), but certainly worth checking in more detail.

Pics would be good if you're able to post them :)

I had to replace the pipe as the union nut that screws into the filter had obviously been over tightened by some way which resulted in the end of the nut flaring out at the end to the extent that I couldn't remove the filter without damaging the thread.

According to the Toyota parts bloke this problem is fairly common on other models especially the Carina.

This is where mine went. There is a plastic holder/protector clip and this retains water.....:blink: My car is a 96 and it recently pi$$ed fuel out all over my drive and ruined it!:(

We put rubber over the section that was knackered but the rest looked in quite good knick.!! I would get it sorted before you spring a leak as it is a real PITA when it starts!! I left my car in the street while it was leaking and the petrol drew all the bitumen out of the tarmac....:rolleyes:

H

This is where mine went. There is a plastic holder/protector clip and this retains water.....:blink: My car is a 96 and it recently pi$$ed fuel out all over my drive and ruined it!:(

We put rubber over the section that was knackered but the rest looked in quite good knick.!! I would get it sorted before you spring a leak as it is a real PITA when it starts!! I left my car in the street while it was leaking and the petrol drew all the bitumen out of the tarmac....:rolleyes:

H

Still encountering problems with the supra I see paul? Though you was getting rid or was that just an angry rant you went on when the pipe went on yur cooling system lol :D

Still encountering problems with the supra I see paul? Though you was getting rid or was that just an angry rant you went on when the pipe went on yur cooling system lol :D

No Martin, I had two leaks in a fortnight and got a bit pi$$ed off. Now, the car is runnig like a dream....;):)

H.

OE steel lines will be neatest, braided will be dearer, and unless you take time to route, secure and terminate properly they may be a source of more trouble. I would seriously think of replacing the brake lines while you are down there, at the same time. Quite why Volvo have managed to sell their cars at a profit with Kunifer type corrosion resistant hard lines since the late nineteen fifties, yet most other manufacturers still use steel lines, I don't know... :) If you intend major engine power upgrades you might consider braided fuel lines in a bigger ID.

You'll have to drop the subframe, as the pipe routing is complex. You can't just drag the old ones out and feed the new ones through with the subframe in situ.:)

that thought did go through my head hence why i "chickened out and desided to use goodridge type hose (more expensive, but less hassle) i think when the cars were being built the brake and fuel lines must have been the first thing to go on the car :(, Chris makes a good point you do have to be carefull with stainless braided hose if you let it "rattle about" it will act like a saw and chew its way through anything that touchs it