The mkiv Supra Owners Club

booting from another version of windows

Willson

Hello IT chaps :)

I want to put xp media center edition on a pc. But I dont want to overwrite the exiting data incase I cant get all the drivers working and I will also need access to all the documents. I would also prefer to avoid buying another harddisk if I can.

Can I just install a second copy of windows onto the same partition? Or should I create another partition and install it on that?

In either case, how do I tell the pc which version of windows I want it to use?

TIA

edit - sorry wrong forum, amateur! (mods please move)

Yes you can install different versions of Windows on the same partition. When installing, it will notice that there's an existing Windows installation and if you choose to install the new one to a different directory it will then present you with a choice of OS to boot into when you start the PC. If you don't choose which one you want it will automatically boot into the newest one after 30 secs. (You can change this if you want though)

The above applies to Win2k, XP, Vista etc - I've never used XPMC but I'm sure it's the same deal.

BTW, If you can create a separate partition to install each operating system you'll probably have less hassle in the long term. Although it does work on the same partition it simplifies things to have each on its own one.

If I did go that route, how would I select the boot partition? Is it the same as above or do I have to set it somewhere?

It is the same, you'll be presented with a boot menu during boot and you can choose which to boot from there.. As Jake said.

Also (like Jake) I would advise a seperate partition for the new OS. You'll need some software (Partition Magic) to do this for you. At least that way if it all goes wrong, you'll not destroy your existing windows install.. Unless you delete that partition with Partition Magic.. lol..