The mkiv Supra Owners Club

gt35r or similar on Auto Box

mikeyb10supra

has anyone had experience with a similar setup and uprated torque converter and stall speed setup on a cast manifold??

im thinking I might do this soon as my house I was looking at fell through so need to chear myself up? Im worried I will get bored of the turbo on an auto box especially if it drives like a shitter and will want a 6-speed conversion

• 3 weeks later...

No problems - In a nutshell - Rush very kindly took me out in his to check what it is like...basically as i was curious and if and when mine go i wanted the options

Rushs' car has been modified by Michel and Ryan has done the mapping

This car is quick... and I mean qu-qu-quick!

The major consideration with the GT35R appears to be that the quick spooling nature of the beastie means that an auto box is actually unable to put the power down effectively without it spinning away and then changing gear to 4th because of the rev monitor.

Therefore the effective way of getting off the line is to utilise 2nd gear (manual mode) and then bunging it up through the gears quickly

Once this is done - by heaven it moves! And we just couldn't get a long enough break to really let go - also I am a complete woosie when anyone else driving :)

From a rolling start not a problem - I was impressed with the natural and the 'daily driver' feel of the car

I understand that Ryan actually commented that even a slightly larger turbo might be better as the GT35 just spools so quckly - but that comment is second hand! Also it would be interesting to see if the .82 A/R improves this over the .63?

It appears AEM seems to have finally come of age with decent mapping...and of course Michel has done a great job on the car...

No substitute for spending the money to get it done well...

Good write-up.

So the question is for a quick spool street setup.

- GT35R with 0.68 AR

- GT35R with 0.82AR

- T61 with 0.68AR or 0.81AR.

What are the prices that you are getting on these. From what I have read, for such small turbos, DBB is not really required and potentially a waste of money.

imi

It appears AEM seems to have finally come of age with decent mapping...and of course Michel has done a great job on the car...

No substitute for spending the money to get it done well...

I Can second that my car now is sooooo fast with the combination of the BL+3200 + Small PHR 1 + 264/264 all done by Michel and of course not forgetting Ryan doing the mapping! Seriously I was driving home from picking up my car from Michel and had a new shape M5 behind me (well 3" off my bumper) and trust me i pulled nearly 10 car lengths on this guy without even really trying!

Good write-up.

So the question is for a quick spool street setup.

- GT35R with 0.68 AR

- GT35R with 0.82AR

- T61 with 0.68AR or 0.81AR.

What are the prices that you are getting on these. From what I have read, for such small turbos, DBB is not really required and potentially a waste of money.

imi

I love my small T61 but i am maybe thinking changing it to a 67dbb to give me a little more power top end.

Seriously before you do anything and if you haven't already speak to Michel! I cant recommend him enough!

I love my small T61 but i am maybe thinking changing it to a 67dbb to give me a little more power top end.

Seriously before you do anything and if you haven't already speak to Michel! I cant recommend him enough!

What AR are you running on your T61? and is yours a DBB?

When does it start to make positive boost and when it is at full boost?

I've already dropped him a PM....seems like he is busy.

imi

What AR are you running on your T61? and is yours a DBB?

When does it start to make positive boost and when it is at full boost?

I've already dropped him a PM....seems like he is busy.

imi

PHR have not released the details on their Turbos because of them getting copied. Or at least thats how it was last time i checked.

It starts making boost around 2000rpm and full boost before 3800rpm only just got the car back so i'm going to have another check on that one but with the BL+3200 there is no lag as it seems to slip the revs upto about 5000rpm and then changes at 6800rpm. I really wouldn't want a large turbo TBH.

has anyone had experience with a similar setup and uprated torque converter and stall speed setup on a cast manifold??

im thinking I might do this soon as my house I was looking at fell through so need to chear myself up? Im worried I will get bored of the turbo on an auto box especially if it drives like a shitter and will want a 6-speed conversion

what is a gt35 equivalent to, i run a T61 on a 3200 stall with a BL box and every now and then i give someone "special" a serious launch, someone "special" happened to be a t**t in an unidentied Merc on my local dual carriageway dragstrip who pulled up along side at the red lights with that look of distain we Supra drivers get sometimes, opposite junction lights go to amber, foot HARD on the brake, revs up to about 3000, lights change, 1.2 bar off the lights, second gear 1.4 bar on the greddy steering wheel switch, game over :D, i would hazard a guess :D a 6 speed would have no chance in this situation, 2 years on and i am still not bored of the power delivery

what is a gt35 equivalent to, i run a T61 on a 3200 stall with a BL box and every now and then i give someone "special" a serious launch, someone "special" happened to be a t**t in an unidentied Merc on my local dual carriageway dragstrip who pulled up along side at the red lights with that look of distain we Supra drivers get sometimes, opposite junction lights go to amber, foot HARD on the brake, revs up to about 3000, lights change, 1.2 bar off the lights, second gear 1.4 bar on the greddy steering wheel switch, game over :D, i would hazard a guess :D a 6 speed would have no chance in this situation, 2 years on and i am still not bored of the power delivery

im really confused as to which I would prefer Paul, thing that worries me is if I shell out al that cash I want to make the right decision, I would love a blast out in yours to give me some idea!!

Is the auto still a fairly involving drive when you want it to be as im worried its going to really mess with the auto shift pattern and launching with a single turbo, and you cand just drop a cog or two as you can in the manual

I would be running it on a stock auto box at first and see how I go as my estimated power figures are not bone shattering, as mentioned it would be run with a cast manifold, 264 cams and gt35r turbo....at the moment im thinking emanage as well and moderate boost levels until the box could be uprated

Would you say its been a reliable setup for you over the past year or so of you owning it, or does it require a fair bit of pampering??

im really confused as to which I would prefer Paul, thing that worries me is if I shell out al that cash I want to make the right decision, I would love a blast out in yours to give me some idea!!

Is the auto still a fairly involving drive when you want it to be as im worried its going to really mess with the auto shift pattern and launching with a single turbo, and you cand just drop a cog or two as you can in the manual

I would be running it on a stock auto box at first and see how I go as my estimated power figures are not bone shattering, as mentioned it would be run with a cast manifold, 264 cams and gt35r turbo....at the moment im thinking emanage as well and moderate boost levels until the box could be uprated

Would you say its been a reliable setup for you over the past year or so of you owning it, or does it require a fair bit of pampering??

an auto can be as involved as you want it to be, it all depends what you want from the car, if its track days and B road thrashing then its got to be the manual, if its cruising with the occasional blast and a traffic light drag go with the auto, i would say on the "street" a small single on a high stall with a cast manifold is going to be VERY quick, as an example when Mr Merc pulled up along side it was not my dazzling driving skills that embarrased him it was the ability to hold the car at 3k revs then floor it, no gear changing etc as the BL changes up as fast as you can click your fingers, as for pampering yes any single does need a fair degree of this as a lot of the parts are not what Mr T fitted as standard but if its done right from the start then the pampering is oil changes and keeeping a close eye on the gauges, in the last 2 years i have had a transmission cooling fan thermostat fail and thats it, i am sure there would be someone local to you with an auto who could take you for a blat