The mkiv Supra Owners Club

windscreen problem! Advice please..

marcAB10

OK guys I mentioned in a previous thread that a house tile landed on my windscreen and left loads of scratches across the pasenger side.. So I decided to get a new windscreen, my parents aranged it (lame, I know :D) through my insurance as my mums two week old mini needed a new windscreen aswell :blink: anyway I had it done today at my dads work and he drove it back to my flat at 4:30 (they said it would be absolutly fine as this was over an hour and a half since they finished it), my problem is that the top corners are not stuck down properly (the little rubber bits that actually touch the paint) I phoned them up and they said that they would come out tomorrow and try and fix it with a heat gun if they can.. They used my original seals which I'm pretty miffed at because I was never told about this and would have easily waited longer for them to source new ones.. So the advice I need is

A. With the seal not stuck properly, and I doubt the heat gun will work as the rubber is a little worn down, if it rains can water run down and damage anything ( its sealed under the rubber so I know its water tight) but its sort of the 'flap' that sticks to the bodywork, so water could get in between the seal and the rest of the flap? (very hard to explain, I hope you lot will understand what I'm going on about :D )

B. I will definatly be getting the whole thing done again with new seal so does anyone know where I can source this quickly(the new rubber seal) as I don't want to wait while they source it with the rubber the way it is?

I will try and post pics tomorrow when its light in case knowbody knows what I'm going on about lol :D

im a windsheild fitter...personally i would get it taken out again and re done,BUT dont use an original trim,as they have a tendancy as you have pointed out for the corners to come up at the edge,same as skylines and mr2s...get them to bring thin flex and thick flex,which is a universal trim...which instead of sitting in side the window apperture,will sit about 2mm over the edge,which gives a much neater apperance is softer rubber so the corners dont pull up and looks 200 times better when the job is done...i have fitted a fair few,but thats just my opinion...

I thought the original rubbers were like rocking horse poo and supposedly the original ones discontinued?

I've heard they're horribly expensive and maybe why the RAC didn't choose to fit one. Sometimes they use Ford Transit ones instead (nasty). The problem is that they can trap water and cause corrosion whilst rubbing.