The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brakes - are these any good?

gavin.starr

I think there seems to be quite a variety of comments on brake disc variants.... the trouble is, I can understand and agree with each arguement, so I don't know what's true...

For example- Grooved Discs:

They "look good" and apparently the grooves help to disperse brake dust etc.

However - the grooves reduce the contact area with pad, hence reducing their effectiveness.

I suppose at the end of the day you can't go wrong with solid discs.

Guest supra_ian666

now im new to all this ive got a supra sz non turbo now im trying to work out which brakes itll have on it i dont belive it has 4 pots but it has the 17inch original wheels. any ideas? i can post a pic if needed i know it needs brakes definatly but until i no which ones theyre i cant order any hehe many thanks ian. sorry for interupting thread to :(

now im new to all this ive got a supra sz non turbo now im trying to work out which brakes itll have on it i dont belive it has 4 pots but it has the 17inch original wheels. any ideas? i can post a pic if needed i know it needs brakes definatly but until i no which ones theyre i cant order any hehe many thanks ian. sorry for interupting thread to :(

Pics here Ian of the larger 4 pot front and 2 pot rear calipers to compare yours to.

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=98436

• 2 weeks later...

I know its a totally different car but I have a full set of these on my BMW 330D Sport. They were recommended to me by other BMW forum members and they have been really great. They look expensive and very fancy. Braking is much better then stock, but from high speeds 70 - 80 mph they are quite noisy but apparently that is because of the air getting trapped in the dimples/holes. I use them with EBC Red Stuff Pads which were recommended (yes I know EBC are not that well regarded on here, but they are good on the BMW once warmed up :taped:).

I would recommend them considering the price :)

Guest Garfy
garfy what pads do you use with them

I used standard blue print ones, but to be honest I would go for something better than that, I cooked them pretty quick, I'm thinking of replacing them with either TRD ones or CW fast road pads.

Guest GAZ 77

I've got the discs mentioned inthe first post but not used the car since fitting them. When they arrived though they were in fact Delphi (lockheed) discs, just machined by the person selling them. Delphi are quite a well known make in car components so would have thought they'd be okay!