The mkiv Supra Owners Club

slipping clutch or?

bodilx6

A couple of time in the last week or so when going for a quick blast, revs has been rising suddenly in 5th gear around 4-5k rpm at WOT.

When trying to replicate by doing another pull I couldn't and no slipping. No sign of it in 4th either.

Can it be anything than the clutch? I'm BPU and has been for 5k miles or so. Car 100% stock before that. Seems odd to me that the clutch should slip.

Didn't feel like wheel slip and I guess that would also be near impossible at that speed unless driving on an icey track or so.

Try driving at 30-40mph in 5th and put your foot down, this will put the clutch under a lot of load, if it is starting to slip you will hear the revs rise faster than the pick up of the car. If it is slipping don't keep trying it, as it will generate a lot of heat.

Thanks a lot guys

Try driving at 30-40mph in 5th and put your foot down, this will put the clutch under a lot of load, if it is starting to slip you will hear the revs rise faster than the pick up of the car. If it is slipping don't keep trying it, as it will generate a lot of heat.

Nic, just so I understand. I would think the most load on the clutch would be at full boost and not at such low revs 5th and 30-40mph will produce. What am I missing?