The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ferodo DS2500 pads

Alex C

Anybody had any experience with these?

From what I've read, the 'normal' Chris Wilson fast road pads I've currently got will not hold up too well on the Marham trackday!

Ideally I'm looking for a pad that will hold up to the rigours of the day but that I don't have to remove for road use (obviously I want to be able to stop on cold mornings without having to ride the brakes for 2 mins first to get some heat in the pads). The DS2500's seem to suit the profile, but there are numerous manufacturers that offer similar claims and I know from experience that they don't always hold water on slightly 'heavier' cars (no UK spec comments please:p) capable of reaching high speeds very quickly. Any recommendations welcomed.

If I have to keep 2 sets of F&R pads then so be it, but would prefer to avoid the PITA of removal and re-fitting.

Guest Nicholas

Used them alot in the past on GTI-R's and they did the job however, I'm not sure that they will make much of a difference to Mr Wilson's fast road pads.

I'd stick with what you've got :)

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know how kind (or un-kind) these are to discs during fast road and occasional track usage? They will be on AP slotted discs.

I'm considering buying a set for a pair of Alcon six pot calipers (pad shape is Ferodo FRP3081) and they come in at about £170 per set. Does that sound reasonable?

Calipers here: http://www.alcon.co.uk/Catalog/11.pdf

My missus has them on AP 6pots on her Subaru. They are pretty harsh, and the dust has pitted her wheels, but they work OK. Personally I use Porterfield pads instead.

You know AP have released their own range of pads?

I'm currently getting Hawk pads fitted to mine. To be fair, I have no actual experience of them as such (watch this space...) but they come very highly recommended by those who do. Dunno if they make the correct application, but it might be worth investigating.

Cheers guys

I don't really fancy the idea of a super dusty pad or corroded alloys too much but my main aim is to find something that is kind to the discs as they are the pricey part! Maybe I should try some of the AP pads. I'm waiting for a price on AP discs from Paul Whiffin so I'll ask him about pads too. He sells Porterfield as well if I remember rightly...

I know there are definitely Perf Friction pads available...or at least that they have the right pad shape for the calipers (their pad shape number is 7876) so I'll drop their UK guys an email and see what they say.

The kinder they are to the disk, the less effective they'll be - the more friction the better for stopping.

That may be so. However, the piston and disc sizes (and pad height) I'm working with work out to approx 17% greater braking torque than a UK brake setup with the same friction factor. I'm not going to be short on stopping power even with a normal road type pad.

The difficulty for me is finding an OEM type pad compound for aftermarket motorsport calipers...hence me steering to something regarded as a fast road compound.

You might be able to get Performance Friction pads with those calipers, if so they would be my first choice ;)

I know there are definitely Perf Friction pads available...or at least that they have the right pad shape for the calipers (their pad shape number is 7876) so I'll drop their UK guys an email and see what they say.

Front pads are in the region of £220 and rears approx £180 for Performace Friction in their "01" competition compound.

Apparently they are relatively dust and noisy as this is the competition compound. Have you ever used these Wes (or anyone else)? On road or track?

Oh yeah - I could get PFC front discs as well as they do a direct replacement for the 356mm AP floating rotor. I'm looking into it as an option but they are not a company I know a great deal about so I am not sure if they are a sensible alternative to the AP's I was planning to go for. :search:

Front pads are in the region of £220 and rears approx £180 for Performace Friction in their "01" competition compound.

Apparently they are relatively dust and noisy as this is the competition compound. Have you ever used these Wes (or anyone else)? On road or track?

Oh yeah - I could get PFC front discs as well as they do a direct replacement for the 356mm AP floating rotor. I'm looking into it as an option but they are not a company I know a great deal about so I am not sure if they are a sensible alternative to the AP's I was planning to go for. :search:

The pads I use are 97 compound not 01, PF discs would be good :thumbs:

97 Compound

This compound was designed as an all-purpose pad where excellent controllability was a priority over ultimate stopping power. Due to its excellent modulation characteristics, this pad has proved very popular with race schools, rallying, and as a rear pad for applications such as touring cars. 97 has the lowest wear of all compounds, typically providing two to three times more life expectancy than competitors. This compound can also dramatically extend disc life.

97 is a medium torque race compound and as a result can provide reduced brake temperatures in situations where poor cooling can result in premature disc failure. 97 has the flattest torque curve of all the Performance Friction compounds. Effective from 167°F and reach 2000°F (75°C, reach 1100°C), 97 uses Performance Friction’s unique lubrication package that maintains a minimal transfer layer on the disc to help prevent brake judder and provide excellent release properties, therefore reducing overall drag in the brake system. 97 is extremely easy on the discs with very low wear.

97 is now being used in Bondurant, Derek Daley, Dale Jarrett Driving Adventure, Panoz, Mid Ohio, and Jim Russell racing schools because of it's long wear vs. performance vs. control and modulation.

01 Compound

Released in 2001,this compound has increased initial bite and improved modulation. The friction level has been increased for the first two-thirds of the braking event, with flatter torque curve and more linear friction curve compared to 83 and 93. This allows the driver to attack the brake pedal later, reducing the time spent on the brakes. Very smooth release will not over-slow the car, and won't overwhelm the car's set-up.

Like 97 compound, 01 has excellent modulation characteristics that improve controllability and driver confidence. 01 uses Performance Friction’s unique lubrication package that maintains a minimal transfer layer on the disc to help prevent brake judder and provide excellent release properties, therefore reducing overall drag in the brake system. 01 is extremely easy on the discs with very low wear. Effective from 167°F and reach 2000°F (75°C , reach 1100°C), optimum operating range is between 860°F and 1004°F (460°C and 540°C).

I use 01 compound on the road and on the track. ALL the PFC race compounds are developed solely for performance and no regard to dust or noise is given. The reason the MKIV PF pads are in 07 compound is they are an obsolete pad and they were no longer in manufacture when the later compounds emerged. There may be some old stock around, but you'd have to make a dedicated search of the US for them.