The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Single Turbo or Twin Turbo?

Firestorm

okay i am no doubt going over old ground here but i used the search option could fine exactly what i was looking for.

so heres a question:

Single or Twin Turbo- Upgrades?

Is this a question of space or the fact that its not possible to fit two Bigger turbos for twin and that u just get far more power from a big single turbo upgrade.

for me its like turning your back on the beauty of the TT and the fact you buy a tt because its a TT and not single. well thats my view.

yours?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'll chip in on this one ;)

Big twins are great and everyone should have them. That is if money and difficulty of installation and maintenance was definitely not an issue.

If any of those are in the slightest, then don't go big twins. Seriously!

For what I spent on fitting my Blitz twin kit, I could have bought a single turbo that would have given me the same amount of power, but also could have built an engine, and be well on my way to a decent suspension kit as well.

Then there's the maintenance. OK yesterday I pulled both turbo's off in about 40 minutes, but it's seriously not easy. Every job that you would ever need to do on the exhaust side instantly becomes about 20 times more difficult than if you had a single. I would actually say working on the stock tubbies would be easier than working on my twins.

But then, they do look the dogs, and if I did build the engine up, they should be good for 800+HP....

foook me thats a lot of pipes and money!

oh and T ur twins do look the dogs! thats some serious amount of power. i get what ur sayin tho now so really ppl fit singles cos its same power less money! i still feel that ur takin the essence of owning a TT if u do that tho lol

i still feel that ur takin the essence of owning a TT if u do that tho lol

For me its about the supra itself, if it has 1,2 or 3 turbos I really wouldnt care as cant see them when driving, I would go with what best suited my needs.

With regards to TT you are also forgetting that 99% of aftermarket kits do away with the sequential operation, therefore its not operating like Toyota intended anyway.

For me its about the supra itself, if it has 1,2 or 3 turbos I really wouldnt care as cant see them when driving, I would go with what best suited my needs.

With regards to TT you are also forgetting that 99% of aftermarket kits do away with the sequential operation, therefore its not operating like Toyota intended anyway.

i guess- but we can still think that its a TT or at least pretend!! lol!

just sit there doing noises in ur head! lol:innocent:

Guest Nicholas
foook me thats a lot of pipes and money!

oh and T ur twins do look the dogs! thats some serious amount of power. i get what ur sayin tho now so really ppl fit singles cos its same power less money! i still feel that ur takin the essence of owning a TT if u do that tho lol

Just out of curiosity... have you ever driven a single turbo supra? :)

i have not driven a single turbo--yet-- anyone wanna let me have a go on theirs?

so what are the advantages of a hybrid.? and newbie question here- what makes it a hybrid and what makes it good? lol

searching is the way forwards mate....looks like you got a lot of reading to do....and in terms of driving a single I would imagine a lot of folk would be a little cautious of letting you rip it up in a 500bhp car ;) you might get a ride out in one though

Are there any benefits to fitting aftermarket twins at all?

Isnt there just 3runners on the manifold going to each turbo instead of 6, therefore losing the response of the 3.0L?

Hybrids are not cost effective imho, esp on a j-spec after fuel upgrades e.t.c

Most of the kits dont seem to be that reliable either, I have driven in a decent set(didnt last for long mind) and when the 2nd turbo kicked in it felt insane(well ish until I'd been in a single)....but my sorted j-spec bpu held up in a 40mph rolling start race so waste of 4g??

I'd say for ease of use and not throwing your cash down the pan which is basically what your doing whilst modding a single, then stay bpu.

But you do forget about the cash side of things when its done:)

If indeed you bought your car with a decent remappable ecu,3inch exhaust,s/fmic and upgraded injectors then a small single/hybrids might be a viable option...

searching is the way forwards mate....looks like you got a lot of reading to do....and in terms of driving a single I would imagine a lot of folk would be a little cautious of letting you rip it up in a 500bhp car ;) you might get a ride out in one though

hell yeh to the reading up- at the momment im on my quest for my BPU i just think its good to know what is possible!

and i wouldnt say no to a ride ;) in a 500bhp supra that is! lol!

Cheeky B****d is filmed in front of a live studio audience

Are there any benefits to fitting aftermarket twins at all?

Isnt there just 3runners on the manifold going to each turbo instead of 6, therefore losing the response of the 3.0L?

Hybrids are not cost effective imho, esp on a j-spec after fuel upgrades e.t.c

Most of the kits dont seem to be that reliable either, I have driven in a decent set(didnt last for long mind) and when the 2nd turbo kicked in it felt insane(well ish until I'd been in a single)....but my sorted j-spec bpu held up in a 40mph rolling start race so waste of 4g??

I'd say for ease of use and not throwing your cash down the pan which is basically what your doing whilst modding a single, then stay bpu.

But you do forget about the cash side of things when its done:)

If indeed you bought your car with a decent remappable ecu,3inch exhaust,s/fmic and upgraded injectors then a small single/hybrids might be a viable option...

eh? Are you basically saying that you think there are no upsides to fitting aftermarket twins over the stock tubbies? Somehow I doubt I would have made 560bhp on my stock tubbies!

The turbo's I've got are individually rated to 450bhp, so with a built engine, even accounting for losses due to linking them together it's going to make over 750bhp.

The benefit of the twins compared to a single will be the spool. Right now I'm down on an equivalently powered single because I'm not utilising their full capability, but when they get up to higher boost levels that's where the twins should come into their own. :)