The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HID's OMG!

Scott

Got my HID's via a group buy a few weeks ago and finally got around to fitting them on Friday. I had the usual hassle with the polarity being round the wrong way but that was easily overcome by a few posts on here and a brief search.

Anyway, first drive since fitting was tonight on the way to work! OMG I cannot believe the difference these things make. Mine aren't even setup right and they are unbelievably good. I went for 6000k's because i wanted a very white light while still being reasonably bright. The main thing with them is how good the light is, not just how bright it is (kind of hard to explain)

I can honestly recommend these to anyone who doesn't have them. Its one of the best

Just need to get the alignment sorted out and they will be spot on. After that its clear lenses and the jobs a goodun!!

Scott =op

I went for 6000k's because i wanted a very white light while still being reasonably bright.

Why didn't you go for 4200K then? Seeing as they're the whitest and brightest, I mean.

The only reason for going for 6000+K is because you want coloured lights, isn't it?

I think the 8000's are more coloured. I think the 6000k's are meant to have a slightly blue tint to them but i haven't really noticed it tbh.

I think that an ice white light the 6000k's produce looks brighter than 4200k's. The 4200's put out more lumen's though. Its hard to explain what i am on about.

Yellow light with more lumens won't look as bright as white light with less i think is what i'm getting at. I know the 4200's are white and don't have any tint but i feel the ice white light produced by the 6000's light up the road better when its pitch black.

Its all down to preference i guess.

Scott =op

i have been thinking of getting these for ages.. i only seam to think of it while driving home at night...mine really are like candles..and if they are that easy to fit too, sounds good!!

Seriously its unbelievable the difference they make. Fitment is easy. I removed 2 nuts and 2 screws to have the lights off and then it was just a case of screwing the units down, plugging in the new lights and putting the lights back into place.

Took me about 20-30 mins and 10 mins of that was trying to figure out why they weren't working lol.

Scott =op

Define "Diamond White"? Sounds like a colour desc from an advert.

6000K is blueish, 4200K is whiter. (I have both but the 6000K is that embarrassing chavtastic blueish colour)

Are you sure you don't have 8000k's then?

6000k's aren't that bad. Think there are a few pics on here of them.

Scott =op

Hey, play nicely now people ;)

Congrats on your success with the HID conversion Scotster, they make a huge difference for sure.

Jake is correct though, the 4200k is a fair amount brighter than the 6000k, they're whiter and give a little more illumination. The 8000k are not very good IME, too far into the blue and don't illuminate the road as well as the whiter ones.

Out of interest does anyone known the luminosity of the OEM Merc and BMW bulbs? They always seem a little blue to me, but are superb from a drivers POV

Hey, play nicely now people ;)

Yeah well, it makes me laugh how some newb who's had HIDs for 5 mins is telling us that 6000K lights are brighter than 4200K.

Besides, I wasn't insulting him. It was him that called me condesending - and I didn't even point out that he can't spell condescending. :D

4200k are brighter than 6000k, mine are 6000k and definately have a blue tint which is fine as thats what i wanted. I have however seen newish cars which look like 6000k although i can't say that they are definately factory. I saw a car recently with Green whats that 12000k?

Yeah well, it makes me laugh how some newb who's had HIDs for 5 mins is telling us that 6000K lights are brighter than 4200K.

Besides, I wasn't insulting him. It was him that called me condesending - and I didn't even point out that he can't spell condescending. :D

I didn't say they were brighter, i said the light that they gave off made them appear brighter. I already explained that i knew the 4200's gave off more lumen's than the 6000's. I mearly said IMO the 6000's, because of the ice white light, appear brighter.

I don't have 4200's and i have only had 6000's for 3 days but i did compare all different sets before finally deciding on 6000's.

The 8000's were far too blue, for my liking, and i prefered the 6000's light to the 4200's.

I didn't tell anyone anything, i mearly stated my opinion. You came on telling me i was wrong even though i was stating an opinion. Thats the reason i said you are sounding condescending. Appearances on forums can often be deceiving. It just seems that more and more people are becoming less and less civil with their reply's. You also basically implyed that anyone who had 6000k or above were chavs.

Oh and sorry for the typo's sometimes i type so fast i miss words out, never mind letters.

Scott =op

Nice one mate, i have 8000k's in mine and i am made up with them, vast improvement over the standard lights. I bought them off US ebay a year ago for 50quid inc delivery and they have been spot on, i dont know why every supe driver doesnt go for a set, makes a huge difference.

It just seems that more and more people are becoming less and less civil with their reply's. You also basically implyed that anyone who had 6000k or above were chavs.

Scott =op

Agreed, i wish some people would keep their opinions to themselves if all they are going to spout is negative comments :rolleyes:

Nice one mate, i have 8000k's in mine and i am made up with them, vast improvement over the standard lights. I bought them off US ebay a year ago for 50quid inc delivery and they have been spot on, i dont know why every supe driver doesnt go for a set, makes a huge difference.

TBH i think its because they don't actually know how much of a difference they make. I wasn't expecting them to be as good as they were.

The thread i linked to earlier in this thread gives a good indication of what to expect.

Scott =op

I didn't say they were brighter, i said the light that they gave off made them appear brighter.
Well, to use your own words; that's your opinion. I happen to strongly disagree with that opinion, sorry if you don't like me doing that - but what can I do?

You came on telling me i was wrong even though i was stating an opinion. Thats the reason i said you are sounding condescending. Appearances on forums can often be deceiving. It just seems that more and more people are becoming less and less civil with their reply's.
You think so? It's way more civil on here than it used to be. It was much more interesting back then. Nowadays you can't question somebodies opinion without being called names by some carebear.

i wish some people would keep their opinions to themselves if all they are going to spout is negative comments
"Forum". Look it up.

Well, to use your own words; that's your opinion. I happen to strongly disagree with that opinion, sorry if you don't like me doing that - but what can I do?

Nothing and i don't have a problem with that. I enjoy a debate but what i don't like is being told i am wrong with no explanation or understanding of my point of view from someone who couldn't care less anyway.

I'm curious, why would you feel the need to jump in on this thread only to be negative towards me? You don't know me, you have no reason to want to know me, there is no reason for you to care what i think about anything, regardless of whether its relating to supra's or not, so why on earth would you join this thread? I wasn't asking a question or requesting any input from anyone so why reply to be negative? Why not just keep on walking and try to be constructive elsewhere instead of negative?

In your initial post on here you asked a question. Why did you ask that question? It makes no difference to you what the reply is as you couldn't care less about what i think or my reasons for doing anything. Are you searching for conflict or something?

Scott =op