The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Facelift Extras?

Scott

I remember reading a faq or something a while ago explaining the differences in models and the difference between UK and JDM supras.

I was just wondering what extras i should have as standard. I have a 1996 JDM TT6 RZ (i think). Are the following optional or std with the facelift?

Recaro recliners

UK Spec Brakes

Is there anything else that is unique to the facelift?

Cheers

Scott =op

options uaualy but i think the recaro's and uk brakes were standard on the RZ? i could be wrong tho

Yeah thats what i thought. I'm guessing i can tell my model no. from the plate under the bonnet?

Was there anything else or just the seats and the brakes? LSD or anything different?

Scott =op

Recaros weren't standard. The standard facelift seats are different in that the headrest part does not move/adjust. The headrest is part of the seat instead of being a separate peice. At a glance they look identical though.

Mine came with big brakes.. maybe standard then.

LSD is a different type. The specifics are in the "new model differences" Toyota document.

Electrically folding mirrors seems to be more common with facelift, may be standard facelift item.

Recaros weren't standard. The standard facelift seats are different in that the headrest part does not move/adjust. The headrest is part of the seat instead of being a separate peice. At a glance they look identical though.

Mine came with big brakes.. maybe standard then.

LSD is a different type. The specifics are in the "new model differences" Toyota document.

Electrically folding mirrors seems to be more common with facelift, may be standard facelift item.

Are you sure? Someone told me recaro's were std on the RZ facelifts. Can't remember when, where or who though lol.

Thought of more...

Black Carpets

Black leather roof lining

Scott =op

Don't really know if it makes a difference with yours being an auto (i am assuming RZ-S means auto).

I just checked the chart and the information seems wrong. I have a 1996 facelift with non-vvti engine. I can't see any information in the model differences chart referring to my car.

Just had another look and there is notes on my car, just says it won't have VVTi.

Scott =op

you're missing the following obvious ones:

Facelift Lights (front and rear)

Facelift Indicators, and hence different wings.

5 gauge cluster

different traction control including snow mode.

grey dash panels rather than the black on early models.

Mike

Is that not differences between facelift and non-facelift? I'm only really looking for Facelift RZ comparison with other facelifts.

Scott =op

Don't really know if it makes a difference with yours being an auto (i am assuming RZ-S means auto).

I just checked the chart and the information seems wrong. I have a 1996 facelift with non-vvti engine. I can't see any information in the model differences chart referring to my car.

Just had another look and there is notes on my car, just says it won't have VVTi.

Scott =op

RZ-S was just a slightly differently spec'd RZ. Less weight apparently so maybe it's the Recaro's that do it? :D

I don't even know (off hand) if mine is an RZ-S, it's just a possibility.

Where's that chart then..

I found the chart. It says RZ-S is basically an RZ in which *everything* is an optional extra :D

So I have an RZ-S with almost all the optional extras (big brakes, rear wing, 17" wheels, front auto spoiler, etc.) The owner should have just bought an RZ in the first place.

According to the chart though, you are right. Recaros are standard on facelift RZ cars, but not the RZ-S. To be fair most people don't differentiate between RZ and RZ-S. It's just RZ or SZ to most.

That's not what your question asked though was it ;)

Mike

Yeah i wasn't very clear lol

I meant i wanted to know why i had recaro's etc and if there was anything else i should have and what to look out for.

The chart is in the FAQ section. It still only mentions 97-> for facelift though which is strange.

Scott =op

RZ-S was a lighter version I believe, nothing to do with transmission.

Recaro's were on later versions but were optional. 1996 was an odd year as it was inbetween stages to facelift.

mine's a '96 but no recaros, bigger brakes though and the torsen LSD.

I wouldn't worry about what should be standard and what's not, people upgraded quite a few of the options....it should mostly all be on the guide on the forum front page.

RZ-S was a lighter version I believe, nothing to do with transmission.

Recaro's were on later versions but were optional. 1996 was an odd year as it was inbetween stages to facelift.

mine's a '96 but no recaros, bigger brakes though and the torsen LSD.

I wouldn't worry about what should be standard and what's not, people upgraded quite a few of the options....it should mostly all be on the guide on the forum front page.

Recaro's were std on the 1997-> (actually 1996->) RZ though.

Scott =op

I also have the later LSD as well. Basically everything except for leather seats (thankfully.. I had leather in my UK Supra) or Recaro seats..

Oh, I don't have the REARS suspension though. Might have liked that one. and I'd really have liked a VVTi engine :(

The RZ was the racey version, it was only 6speed, and all came with Recaros, LSD, the bigger brakes, uprated ABS, REAS on later ones, Bilstein suspension on the others. The RZ-S was the base model that you could get in Auto. The confusion comes from the fact that before the facelift the RZ-S was the model with the extras - for some reason Toyota swapped the model letters around.

The RZ was the racey version, it was only 6speed, and all came with Recaros, LSD, the bigger brakes, uprated ABS, REAS on later ones, Bilstein suspension on the others. The RZ-S was the base model that you could get in Auto. The confusion comes from the fact that before the facelift the RZ-S was the model with the extras - for some reason Toyota swapped the model letters around.

Exactly what i was looking for, thanks!!

With regards to the suspension, how do i tell? I have different springs from the originals but can i tell from the shocks?

Scott =op

Exactly what i was looking for, thanks!!

With regards to the suspension, how do i tell? I have different springs from the originals but can i tell from the shocks?

Scott =op

Bilstein shocks were yellow, I believe the normal ones were black. The REAS system has a hose connected to the shock. It's very rare though, don't think I've ever seen a car with it.