The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My aerotop rattles

gordy07

Since i bought my supe in november it has had a rattle off the roof when i go over bumps:(But the weather was lovely yesterday and i got the roof off which was very sweet especially as the rattle had gone:)Does anyone else have this problem with there aerotop.Any help much appreciated:D

Have you made sure that all your bolts have been done up tight? Even if you have, the 'vertical' ones at the front can come undone slightly after they've been tensioned the first time after the roof goes back on.

The other, more important, thing to make sure, is that you park on a flat surface and do them up in the correct order. Which is, passenger front, driver rear, driver front, then passenger rear. That's what I do, and it seems to work fine for me.

Or is it the other way round? ;)

(I basically copied and pasted a reply I made to someone else the other day :) )

Hope that helps.

TBH Andrew i just sat the roof on and bolted left front,right front,left back then right back didnt think it mattered

I don't really think it does, but try re-tensioning the bolts once you've driven a short distance. It is surprising how the front ones come undone slightly when you're driving.

You could always try doing the bolts up in a different order and finding out which works best for you. The way I described works for mine though :)

I have the exact same problem on mine!

i was thinking that it was the center bolt assembly has come loose from where it is attached to the roof itself.

Also i think it may have something to do with the rubbers that go around the front of the windscreen where the roof is attached. I say this because I put some slicone spray on the rubbers and it sorted out the sound for about two - three days.

Gonna look further into it when it gets warmer!

saq

I took the roof off today and when i put it back on i retightened the bolts in a random order rather than the two fronts first and then the back and it seems to have made a big difference there is still slight bumping and squeking but its much better.Thanks to you all!

I took the roof off today and when i put it back on i retightened the bolts in a random order rather than the two fronts first and then the back and it seems to have made a big difference there is still slight bumping and squeking but its much better.Thanks to you all!

Personally I think its quite important to make sure you do two up in diagonal, ie passenger front, then driver rear etc, as doing the front ones up first doesn't allow the rear ones to 'lock' properly, then the front ones undo again. :rolleyes:

Or something like that, but if you've noticed an improvement, then that's a good thing in itself. :)

• 4 weeks later...
As said it could be the rubber seals, a set of new seals could help.

I'm bumping this thread, because my roof has just started rattling from the rear passenger bolt! It started to happen on monday, just to coincide with all the nasty weather!

The roof hasn't been off at all for a least a month, everything is fixed tight, and I've even taken the roof off several times to reseat it. It still rattles. So annoying! :(

Nic, could you PM me a price for new seals for the rear main body and roof section, if possible please? :)

you may also want to check the bolts that are on the targa top itself. Take the top off, flip it around and inspect it. There are several screws on the targa itself that are known to get loose over time and no matter how much you torque it while putting on the targa, you aren't tightening those screws.

May be worth a go mate

My best guess is the central roof lock mechanism.

Try taking roof off and shaking it to see if rattle is in roof panel?

:thumbs:

Its definitely not the central mechanism, as the rattle is coming from the rear passenger bolt area. I wound the window down before my journey home from work, held the roof and gave it a good solid 'shake', but no actual rattle happened. The weird thing is, I didn't hear a knock from it all the way home. Brute force and ignorance worked this time! :)

you may also want to check the bolts that are on the targa top itself. Take the top off, flip it around and inspect it. There are several screws on the targa itself that are known to get loose over time and no matter how much you torque it while putting on the targa, you aren't tightening those screws.

May be worth a go mate

I didn't realise there were any other fixings on the roof itself, except for some little screws which hold the roof seal in place. I thought all the other 'fixings' on the roof were welds.

I've had the roof lining off before, to replace a seal, and I didn't notice any screws/bolts that could be 'tightened' on there.

Anyway, I may just get a some new seals for the roof, and hopefully that'll fix it, but as others have mentioned, its very annoying, as you can't get it to rattle when you 'shake' it yourself :Pling: