The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Curiosity: Auto & TipTronic

mawby

As far as I know it's the same gearbox.

I like autos but I wouldn't have another Tip. It's a gimmick and doesn't work particularly well IMO. The upchanges are OK if a bit slow, but downchanges are impossible to do smoothly like you can do with a manual. And the way it it just ignores you if you try to change down if it thinks the revs will be too high in the lower gear if bloody annoying.

The worst thing though is the fault MPH converted Tips all have which makes it change down to 3rd gear at WOT even if you're doing 150mph at the time. :banghead:

I don't know for sure, but if Tiptronic is only available on Facelift (read this as vvti), then the ECU and loom are different so can't be retro-fitted to a pre-facelift.

Whether tiptronic can be retro-fitted to non-tiptronic facelift autos I don't know.

Mike

Suprastick apparently can do it..

I did look at using a megasquirter3 module which can control the autobox supposedly, but didn't really progressive it much further...could be an interesting idea.

As far as I know it's the same gearbox.

I like autos but I wouldn't have another Tip. It's a gimmick and doesn't work particularly well IMO. The upchanges are OK if a bit slow, but downchanges are impossible to do smoothly like you can do with a manual. And the way it it just ignores you if you try to change down if it thinks the revs will be too high in the lower gear if bloody annoying.

The worst thing though is the fault MPH converted Tips all have which makes it change down to 3rd gear at WOT even if you're doing 150mph at the time. :banghead:

Yup, I just took the speed convertor out...

I did look at using a megasquirter3 module which can control the autobox supposedly, but didn't really progressive it much further...could be an interesting idea.
I think being able to operate the standard auto box in manu mode using flappy paddles rather than the lever would be quite smart. Link that to a display which shows the current gear you're in and you're starting to bring the Supra up-to-date with more modern auto's.

I think being able to operate the standard auto box in manu mode using flappy paddles rather than the lever would be quite smart. Link that to a display which shows the current gear you're in and you're starting to bring the Supra up-to-date with more modern auto's.

Hmmm, I shall dig out the notes that I have and speak to some people and lets see what can be done ;)

The paddles bit is dead easy as that is simply microswitches or perhaps an aftermarket steering boss which has them.

personally i dont really get all this flaping about with flappy paddles i have driven a VVTi with said flaps but after 10 minutes i got board with it and just left it in "D", my advise is go single and get a Boostlogic auto box with a high stall , you'll never mess with flaps again :eyebrows:

The upchanges are OK if a bit slow, but downchanges are impossible to do smoothly like you can do with a manual.
Is this not the same for the normal auto too? I don't use manu mode often because I think the auto box in the Supra is far better at what it does than me but on the odd occasion I've tried it changing down gear has always resulted in the car jolting.

• 2 weeks later...

i think the main problem with "our" gearbox is it pre-dates all the new flappy paddle stuff which Jake eluded to earlier on, new generation performance autos are five and six speed to take advantage of the technology, the new boxs are designed right from the outset to have electronic shift at the touch of a button whereas our 30 year old 3 speed boxs were never really designed for downshifting in this way, i think if you enjoy manually shifting you really need a manual or mate a 6 speed auto merc box to the 2JZGTE (now theres an idea :eyebrows:)