The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Got crashed into from behind - anything to look out for?

salvatore

Hi guys

Been a while since i last posted, been busy with life etc...

Anyway, two days ago i got into a collision with a transit van which smasehd into the rear of my supra as i braked for a mini roundabout. Real pisser:( So i'm just off to get the bodywork qoute, and have already got the quote for repairing the sub box in the boot which was displaced in the accident. The rear bumper is ok, but the paint has all flaked off, and the main 'bar' that runs across the back off the car inside the bumper has been bent. All the body panels are ok, and the car still drives fine. Just wondering if anyone has been in a similar position, and is there anything in particular i should check on the car?:search:

Cheers guys

Sorry to hear that buddy. You should be OK if the impact was direct-on to the rear and at low speed. Most cars are normally capable of absorbing small impacts without affecting the structural integrity of the rear end ;)

It is the small angled impacts that can casuse the issues.

If its bent the bar inside the bumper, he must have hit hard. Look for damage in the floor well of the boot, especially around the spare wheel where it is curved as this will be the first area to show distortion.

Also on the boot floor is a paint type effect sealer between panels, if this has cracked that could also be a sign of deformation.

Hope your ok mate and the car gets sorted.

if you get smashed into from behind (oooh errr) then you ar elikely to get some form of whiplash - therefore u should go to the docs, get it seen to and claim for it.... am i missing something??

A dose of morality? Ethics? Total disregard for honesty? Do you have a diary full of numbers for the likes of Fentons LLC? If one thing bugs me about this forum it's the compo culture that seems to arise from any minor bump. I suppose the TV and the USA are partly to blame, but surely things aren't SO bad that earnings need boosting by fraudulent claims at every minor hiccup in life? :)

if you get smashed into from behind (oooh errr) then you ar elikely to get some form of whiplash - therefore u should go to the docs, get it seen to and claim for it.... am i missing something??

If you have genuinely got whip lash then yea claim for it, the problem is however now everyone does it and its making everyone's insurance premiums go up as people now see a crash as a money making exercise....

Not that I am saying you think its one Jamesy ;)

A dose of morality? Ethics? Total disregard for honesty? Do you have a diary full of numbers for the likes of Fentons LLC? If one thing bugs me about this forum it's the compo culture that seems to arise from any minor bump. I suppose the TV and the USA are partly to blame, but surely things aren't SO bad that earnings need boosting by fraudulent claims at every minor hiccup in life? :)

Good post.

:amen::goodpost: etc etc.

If he's genuinely knackered his neck then fine, but he makes no mention of it. Your post came across as advising him to claim, seemingly regardless of whether he was injured or not.

If that's not what you meant then fair-dos, but it certainly came across that way. :)

*CLEAR - EASE SPRINGS!*

Blimey, what have i started?!!:blink: Cheers for the input and support guys;).

I did go to A&E afterwards - minor whiplash & concussion, bit i'm just too honest to go sueing for that!! Just got the quote back from the bodyshop - £2191 ex vat for all of it. The bulkhead in the boot had been pushed in a bit, so that it is touching the spare wheel, this has been noticed by the bodyshop and will be attended to....

Right, gonna email off these quotes and see what i get back:search:

Watch this space...............

you should sue for whiplash thats for sure!! hope u get sorted mate.

(whiplash is min of £2k mate ;) )

Along with Mr Wilson, I cannot agree with this type of statement. People suing for fake whiplash is costing all of us loads of extra on our insurance premiums and is criminal fraud, unless it is backed by a genuine doctors report.

I was smacked in the back 2 years ago and as I felt fine, I settled for the repair costs to my car - as it should be

Even a small rear-ender can be a problem.

Apart from obvious cracking, assuming there's no chassis damage, and given that you've bent the rear crash bar, you will be looking at:

1: crash bar

2: rear bumper (probably distorted, probably had brackets sheared off)

3: crash absorbing foam from inside the bumper

4: brackets, clips and mounts under the bumper

5: exhaust backbox and possibly mid-pipes - check whether the whole exhaust has been shoved forward. If it has, you may need a new downpipe too.

Been there, done that. You're looking at the thick end of £2000 to fix properly.

Even a small rear-ender can be a problem.

Apart from obvious cracking, assuming there's no chassis damage, and given that you've bent the rear crash bar, you will be looking at:

1: crash bar

2: rear bumper (probably distorted, probably had brackets sheared off)

3: crash absorbing foam from inside the bumper

4: brackets, clips and mounts under the bumper

5: exhaust backbox and possibly mid-pipes - check whether the whole exhaust has been shoved forward. If it has, you may need a new downpipe too.

Been there, done that. You're looking at the thick end of £2000 to fix properly.

yep and more if you need to go on a chassis jig. Plus, I needed a hire car for a month while it was being sorted (£100 per day!!)

I'm suing the guy who bought my Supra! He caused me emotional distress. :D