The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto TT turbo noises/whistling

Firestorm

okay- more specifically- what Turbo/wastegate noises are you expected to here- espeically if you have an auto- im kinda new to this so im still trying to experience everything. i understand teh principal behind dump valves etc releaseing the pressure when u come change gear etc blah

but what bout auto- i get a kind of whilsting blowing when accellerating past 2k rpm -first turbo kicking in which i assume is the wastegate just releasing pressure obviously when i come off the gas this stops-

so i gues my real question is- is this completely normal for the auto or am i experience a dodgy turbo/wastegate?

ps. my other post about a sqeak i beleive to of figured out so this is not in reltion to that.

The Auto will whistle as the turbo spools but as the box changes so quickly the only way you will get the BOV to make a noice is if you take your foot off the gas inbetween gear changes, if you have a stock BOV you will not hear very much at all, the stock supra is a very quiet car its just there are not many stock ones left now :D

ah awesome guys! trully u all are legends!

as far as im aware standard standare bov / wastegate- i think yall rite being spolling up, i have a fairly loud exhaust that drowns everyting out- i just seem to hear this sssssssshhhhhhhhhh (but a whistle lol) when i on the 2---4 k rpm spectrum!

but its its all good then im supra happy!

:D hehe

The stock BOV can leak and produce a whooshing sound when accelerating lightly to medium lightly ;)

Mine was p*ssing air out like a goodun until it was *modified* by making it adjustable. I think the internal spring goes weak.

Can you post up a .wav recording?

yeh il see about recording one over the weekend-shouldnt be a problem- most cell phones have a recorder-

coming from a skoda fabia to a supra was a big leap and its now really interesting to experience all new sounds- in a way i freak out a lil with things im not used to (car wise) A. cos i just love the car B. there sounds ive never heard b4 on cars.

for instance- my back/boot area seems rattley if ont crappy road

I know exactly the sound you're talking about. On boost, with a mild lift-off, you get a continuous blow-off. This hasn't been a worry for me because it seems to make sense when I attribute it to the readings from my boost gauge.

In my mind, the way the auto transmission works (ie. with load, without load and mild load) will make the vacuum system controlling the BOV work differently to a manual. Can someone correct me?

I know exactly the sound you're talking about. On boost, with a mild lift-off, you get a continuous blow-off. This hasn't been a worry for me because it seems to make sense when I attribute it to the readings from my boost gauge.

In my mind, the way the auto transmission works (ie. with load, without load and mild load) will make the vacuum system controlling the BOV work differently to a manual. Can someone correct me?

YES!! thats it!! aww dude ur a legend! thats the noise!