The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What breaks are you using?

Firestorm

Heaven forbid that we should BRAKE :p but are most ppl running stock breaks or uprating the bRAKe.

is there particualr brand that is better- is it worth splashing more cash on this part and not just doing pads but the discs and callipers aswel?

any suggestions- esp for an auto would be welcome. plus general debate is also good.:search:

Which brakes do you have fitted at the moment? The Supra came with two options; the smaller 2 pot front/1 pot rear and the larger 4 pot front/2 pot rear brakes.

The most common upgrade for those with the smaller brakes, is to replace with the larger ones. The bigger spec brakes are far better than the smaller ones and are relatively cheap for the performance they give. They are also a straight swap.

Combined with a set of good quality pads (Endless CCX would be my choice), braided brake lines and decent brake fluid, they are more than capable for any fast road use.

See pics here:

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=98436

Well I find the N/A "BRAKES" useless, so I'm going to fit CW fast road pads this saturday, then see what it's like and maybe uprate discs aswell. But unless your pushing serious power I wouldn't see a need to get bigger "BRAKE" callipers aswell

Unless you want to spend big money on a set of lighter weight 2-piece discs such as the Project Mu ones below, I would save your money.

Drilled and grooved discs just reduce the braking surface and despite what the sales blurb may say, they will make a negligible difference to braking performance. A good set of pads will make the biggest improvement in braking performance.

http://www.project-mu.co.jp/e/images/parts/rotor/SCR-PRO_SLIT-FS.jpg

A brace for the brake master cylinder would be worth considering. The master cylinder can flex quite a lot under heavy braking, a brace will minimise any flex, firm up the pedal feel and transfer more of the braking to the calipers.

Cusco make a bolt on brace and Carbing have a built in brace on their front tower bars.

Cusco Brake Master Cylinder Brace

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/9974/attachmentphpnq1.jpg

Carbing Tower Bar (with built in brake master cylinder brace)

http://f10.putfile.com/7/18616374710.jpg

Unless you want to spend big money on a set of lighter weight 2-piece discs such as the Project Mu ones below, I would save your money.

Drilled and grooved discs just reduce the braking surface and despite what the sales blurb may say, they will make a negligible difference to braking performance. A good set of pads will make the biggest improvement in braking performance.

The discs aren't to improve braking power, I seem to have a problem with the discs getting hot too quickly and warping, hence I need some that keep that bit cooler and don't warp so easy.

The discs aren't to improve braking power, I seem to have a problem with the discs getting hot too quickly and warping, hence I need some that keep that bit cooler and don't warp so easy.

Ah right gotcha, are you using genuine OEM Toyota discs? I've never had a stock disc warp on me (bigger spec brakes) and use to give mine some punishment. I know some have complained on here of warping, not sure if it just the smaller discs that seem to suffer or not.

Ah right gotcha, are you using genuine OEM Toyota discs? I've never had a stock disc warp on me (bigger spec brakes) and use to give mine some punishment. I know some have complained on here of warping, not sure if it just the smaller discs that seem to suffer or not.

Yeah it's the smaller ones, but I have got a feeling that one of the front brakes is binding which could be causing it, but I'm replacing the pads on friday so I will be able to have a good nosey.