The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra diesel conversion?

Ark

hmm the car i have with work is a 3.0 TDI Q7 and it moves quite a bit faster than the N/A Supra off the line and weighs a hell of a lot more. I think the same engine goes into the new A5?? If that was put in a Supra it would be seriously quick... not too noisy either with some extra insulation i suppose.

Still, the whole concept just seems wrong somehow

Ive heard of new audi Td engines pulling + of 200bhp! Shame it would cost a fortune to buy one and would sound like a tractor! :(

and about 350ft lbs of torque, thats the good part! some new tdi engines pull very strongly, all down low really but to be honest, i can see more sports cars being made in diesel, sure the new R8 is available in diesel now isnt it?!?

I don't know why I thought of this, but seeing how cheap rolling Supra chassis are getting, has anyone ever thought about swapping a diesel engine into a Supra for some thumping great torque, without the V-Power price pain?

:protest::ban: Nooooo you can't put a diesel engine in a Supra......thats just wrong. :p

If you get a Diesel it should be German Tank i think ;)

Think of all the poor asthma sufferers with all that black crap pouring out the exhaust + cant verify it but i'm betting most people who went to test drive a supra were won over by the sound the lovely lovely clean burning petrol makes.:p

I Almost said Diesel is more expensive but seeing as most folk shove Vpower in I guess its six and half a dozen.

Anyway compressed air is the future.:D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7241909.stm

The new Audis are a good example of sports cars going diesel, turning out better performance stats than their petrol equivalents: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/209047/audi_r8.html.

But......is diesel actually cheaper/easier/better ecologically that petrol anyhow? Or is it that diesels just look attractive because tax/mile is lower than petrol? Surely, if everyone starts buying diesel cars, then you can pretty mych guarantee diesel tax will go up to match, no?