The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why are UK specs going so cheap?

Guest CoolsBlue

Guest CoolsBlue

Ive seen quite a few going for around the 4-5k mark:blink:just last year i saw lots going for 10k and up, ok theyre high miles BUT would this really make the price go down? might consider buying one after my current jap spec is finished to get me cheaper insurance:D

I fancy a UK one. When I was looking last January there was a white UK came up. 1994, 70k with FSH for £6500. I spoke to the old bloke on the phone who'd had it since new. He couldn't get in and out of it anymore, he was worried he'd advertised it too cheap....;)

It was gone the same day....:(

H.

Is it still the case that UK cars are that much cheaper to insure?

Yes, I got a quote from Sky for a J-spec with aftermarket front and wheels and exhaust £1070.

Got a quote on my UK spec wheels 2nd decat and exhaust standard body £513

Surely £500+ is not just for the aftermarket front?

Doesnt bother me, cheaper they go the quicker they will get written off. Then there will be even less left and mine will be rarer :)

My thoughts exactly. Keep it clean, service it on time, keep the mileage down, and generally keep it safe, then there will be only the 'genuinely' looked after ones left. ;)

I was thinking about this the other day, as it does seem a bit depressing when I think that I bought my car just before the prices started tumbling, but I've done exactly what I mentioned above. Then when the car's value bottoms out, it will sort the 'wheat from the chaff', and we can hopefully put some value back into them again :)

Who cares!!!!

I lost one at the weekend for 3700 with a FSH as soon as i find another one that cheap i will buy it.

Anybody that already owns one !! it will also affect imports.

Im in the club of the cheaper they become the more will get written off and push the value of those left, if there in good condition and been looked after back up.

Yes, I got a quote from Sky for a J-spec with aftermarket front and wheels and exhaust £1070.

Got a quote on my UK spec wheels 2nd decat and exhaust standard body £513

Surely £500+ is not just for the aftermarket front?

Were both quotes from Sky? I think a lot of people may be surprised by tne loading for aftermarket parts. It is usually very high and those figures you quoted would not surprise me.

Damn right mine sits in the garage comes out on nice days and is pampered like a new born baby,its like everything once they become really scarce the price will start to increase.And in any case those at rock bottom prices will probably need some considerable money spent on them to make them presentable again,a fsh is a must aswell,cause what may initially seem cheap may end up costing you a fortune.

Were both quotes from Sky? I think a lot of people may be surprised by tne loading for aftermarket parts. It is usually very high and those figures you quoted would not surprise me.

Yeah both with Sky. As I gave the the chance with the 'new improved' statement and to be fair they were exspensive on the J-spec (found cheaper elsewhere, although they have like for like), they were just under £300 dear than cheapest quote, but for the UK spec they were by far the cheapest by over £100.

Damn right mine sits in the garage comes out on nice days and is pampered like a new born baby,its like everything once they become really scarce the price will start to increase.And in any case those at rock bottom prices will probably need some considerable money spent on them to make them presentable again,a fsh is a must aswell,cause what may initially seem cheap may end up costing you a fortune.

I don't share your optimism. You may find that a car with lower miles etc will still command a higher price but I really don't see them ever increasing in value due to rarity.

The problem (as I see it) is that the current market (numbers and types of owners) will have devalued the car so much it will never increase.

Whilst some on here still see it as a "supercar", in reality it is now nothing like that.

Yeah both with Sky. As I gave the the chance with the 'new improved' statement and to be fair they were exspensive on the J-spec (found cheaper elsewhere, although they have like for like), they were just under £300 dear than cheapest quote, but for the UK spec they were by far the cheapest by over £100.

Interesting. I wasn't sure if the old problem was still there. I can understand if we are talking about a car that does not have a UK model but I would have thought that due to the numbers of imports now on the road (those proven to be almost exactly the same car) the prices would have been similar.

Interesting. I wasn't sure if the old problem was still there. I can understand if we are talking about a car that does not have a UK model but I would have thought that due to the numbers of imports now on the road (those proven to be almost exactly the same car) the prices would have been similar.

Thats what Sky told me, all quotes that i got were dealt soley with Graeme from Sky. He told me that they are not like other insurers and do not discriminate customers on owning a J-spec as they understand it is essentially the same car.

However £500+ of a difference is a lot even for a bodykit.

Im not to bothered that the cars are getting cheaper now its bound to happen to a car that is more than 10 years old.

However if you think about it what other car can you buy that has the amount of equipment the supe has, the looks, the sound, the performance, etc just becuase the car is getting older and is getting cheaper does not mean its lesser of a nice car....:)

I love my supe i probably will drive/own it until its last breath.

For me it's good news since I wanna find a Uk spec 6speed this spring for less then 9k, I thought it was a impossible task until resently searching Autotrader, Pistonheads and of course at this forum.. Seems like I will make it after all!

So if anyone thinks about selling there Uk-spec Twin Turbo 6speed for less then 9k in May/June please contact me! :)

/Elias

Sweden

Guest CoolsBlue
Doesnt bother me, cheaper they go the quicker they will get written off. Then there will be even less left and mine will be rarer :)

you know i said the same thing earlier to myself, only thing that makes me feel bad is that these cars are getting written of by silly pepople who take advantage of these rwd cars on wet roads etc