The mkiv Supra Owners Club

crooked tire wear, suspention issues?

bodilx6

1 year after haven the supra alligned on all four wheels by professionals I have found that my front tires are completly worn on the inside. Back tires are fine. According to the shop the car was set up exactly to factory specifications when it left them. I've even got the report and have attached it here.

Can this really be right? I have (before the allignment) fitted new dampers and springs which also lowered the car 40mm. Koni brand I think. Also I have fitted 18x8" wheels with a slight off ET (wheel sits half an inch too far towards the center of the car. Stock tire width. This was also done before the allignment.

Now, can there be some issues with the car since the allignment has slipped? (presuming the shop has set everything up correctly).

I don't want to fit new tires, do a new allignment and have the same results after a year.

PS. If you look at the attatchment, venstre means left and hojre means right, for means before and efter means after...

image1.jpg

Why is the SAI a mile out?

Dunno. I actually tried calling the shop to ask them, but they guy answering the phone didn't know what it was and I'm not able to get a hold of the guy who do. I was invited to drop by them though...

So, what is the SAI? As far as I can figure its how many degrees the wheel tilts when using max lock. If I'm right, then this shouldn't account for the wear unless I drive around in a circle all the time :)

Is it adjustable and what can cause this as well what does it cause?

Chris, I bet you know whats going on but your shop is a bit far from Denmark ;) -sadly.

I have attached pics of both a front and rear tire (in this order). Its clear that the rear look as close to even wear as possible, while the front is almost worn down on the inner third (a bit harder to see)

front.jpg

rear.jpg

Those tyres look a very low profile on the front, what size are they? Do a Google on SAI, it's not adjustable on a MKIV, but badly knackered lower wishbone bushes *MAY* affect it, and cause odd tyre wear such as you see.

235/40-18. Don't think they are that low. I'll have my mech check out the bushings when we are going through some things this weekend. But the new suspension shouldnt be to blame, or the setup the geo/allignment shop did?

I did a google on SAI and found what I descibed before ;)

Didn't know what it was before that.

I seem to remember a recent thread were you reccomended someone to change bushings. Cant seem to find it now. Would it be the same bushings here?