The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Jacking up

supra_aero

Hey all

Excuse wierd thread title. Anyway, I am gonna attempt to do an oil change this weekend (Assuming its not rocket science).

My question is, where do I put the jack stands?

Found this link through a thread

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/rexmerckx/liftpoints.jpg

But me being slow, can I put a block of wood on the jack stands and put them under the frame (near the skirts?) as shown on diagram? Or do I have to put it on suspension/wishbone thingy - pls forgive my non-mechanical terminology.

Help is appreciated

Oh, you might already know this, but a good tip i picked up on here was to put a plastic bag around the filter before you unscrew it. This saves loads of mess as the oil & filter fall into the bag instead of all over your engine ;)

yup, all about keeping the hands clean as well - thanks, it will def. come in handy - get it, handy :taped:

use the jack that comes with the car, get it up so you can get a axle stand under it and then lower it so the sill seam is just in contact with the stand. Loosen the sump nut, then with a shallow'ish container to collect the oil, you can remove the axle stand and wind the jack down to relevel (or go a bit past level if you are in a hurry) to allow all the old oil out easier..........

NOTE before you do any draining try and loosen the oil filter.

we were all newbies once upon a time

possibly some more tips here?

i can reccommend this type of oil filter removal tool....

filter tool.jpg

thanks guys for your help. Bought the removal tool as well just in case it is hard to get off.

Really looking forward to doing my first mechanical deed without using a garage. Brakes will be next..then spark plugs..

Will keep you posted.:)

Wow! you sound just like me! I'm going to get a short lesson in the same thing this weekend. Let me know how you screw up and I'll let you know how I do exactly the same ;)

use the jack that comes with the car, get it up so you can get a axle stand under it and then lower it so the sill seam is just in contact with the stand. Loosen the sump nut, then with a shallow'ish container to collect the oil, you can remove the axle stand and wind the jack down to relevel (or go a bit past level if you are in a hurry) to allow all the old oil out easier..........

NOTE before you do any draining try and loosen the oil filter.

we were all newbies once upon a time

possibly some more tips here?

i can reccommend this type of oil filter removal tool....

thanks very much for the info. My oil filter removal tool I bought is v.similar.

I keep thinking i might mess it up but its all repairable fixes even if somehow i mess it up so i am going to bite the bullet