The mkiv Supra Owners Club

mechanical dump valve for N/A

redsupraman82

after reading the thread about 'my N/A is not so bad' my brain got thinking..... is there anyway you could rig up a mechanical dump valve as most of us N/A owners i suppose love the sound but dont really want the trouble of turbos if you know what i mean??? is there anything that can be done?? or is it just those shitty EDV things????

im sure someone out there must be able to rig up something out there......there are a few clever people on here from what i have seen!:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0XGVBecRkE

you can get them that go on your exhaust, i would not bother if i was you though, lol besides i thought you N/A lot did not want turbos as you cant afford the running costs or somthing like that, not from the worry of the turbos failing..??? i have never had a turbo fail on me on all my turbo cars

i wasnt actually saying that the turbos would fail or anything like that. you right wiht the running costs etc what i ment with "the trouble of turbos" is that you cant just stop there.... if tou got the foundation of a TT then you will just want more and more power i was aiming more towards the addiction side rather than faults! if that makes sence??:)

A cheaper way is to keep several cans of coke/pepsi etc in the car. As you change up, open the window and have a mate open the can at the same time. Passers by are duped by the satisfying "psssshhht" sound and therefore think you have a turbo/bov......;)

Although I now have a car with 532 cans of flat coke lying about, but it is worth it as I'm really bothered about what complete strangers think!!:rolleyes:

H.

its a n00b thing but you joined in 06 :taped: - you not learnt anything? :p

Obviously not with answers like this....i was just trying to find out if this is possible? out of curiosity. in fact i actually think it sounds a bit chavy!

Forgive me for not knowing how these work or how turbos work as im still quite new to these cars and still trying to learn but obvously with no help, just the usual coments ' Get a TT' im really starting to lose faith in this forum. it really should be called mkiv 'TT' Supra owners club as the N/A guys never get a chance to find out anything!

All i wanted to find out was is it possible in any way? if so it might of be a good earner for fabricators on here to build something.

All i wanted to find out was is it possible in any way? if so it might of be a good earner for fabricators on here to build something.

This can be answered with a stright No.

The reason you received some negative comments is perhaps due to your lack of understanding of how an engine works. Turbo charged engines produce positive boost, which when vented produces all sorts of whooshy noises. NA engines cannot produce positve boost so cannot make any whoosy noises (it's simple physics). It's nothing to do with this wierd NA/TT owner complex you seem to have made up for yourself, but everything to do with engineering and basic understanding of how an engine works.

Why do you try to blame the whole forum for "their" lack of understanding when the lack of understanding is in fact your own?

I'm sure it's been done before ;) I read somewhere that a guy connected a real BOV to the air compressor from an air horn (dukes of hazard type one) and then had a switch for it attached to the bottom of his clutch pedal. :)

Thanks guys thats all i wanted to know!

i havent made up this N/A TT problem i have just noticed a lot recently that a lot N/A questions go un noticed and no one seems to bother with them. not just my own but some others too i can remeber reading about.

Granted, i dont know a lot about engines....but now i know about how the diffenent engines work (TT/N/A)

The reason i joined this forum was to learn and be part of a comunity that shares the love for these cars:D

I don't mean to offend, but your question came across as very naive, which was why you were asked whether it was a joke.

I try to answer any NA Supra questions that I can. The usual question is; how can I get more power out of my NA? Unfortunately the performance options are much more limited on an NA engine, small increases can be made with exhaust and manifold upgrades, but that's about it.

The only way you'll get even modest increases in power is to spend a LOT of money completely rebuilding the engine and valve train, so it can rev higher with bigger displacement. It is a lot easier to significantly increase the power on a turbo Supra so there tend to be a lot more threads on the subject.

For me the best upgrade you can make to an NA is to optimise the handling and braking of the car.

I've been on here since the start of the forum and don't share your views about it being a TT only club. Yes there is banter between the 2 owners, but that is all it is.

I understand what you mean Nic, i didnt mean for it to come across that way, it was just a case of a square brick trying to get though a round hole!:p just wanted to know if it 'could be done'

im not saying for one minuite that this place has not been helpful, it has and i have learned A LOT about my supe from knowing nothing about it! also yourself has given me some great advice and help in the past!

i know its all friendly banter, but with a little help would be nice!:search:

i appologise to all those i had offended, this is a great place!:D

P.S Nic i will be getting those covers sent to you soon can you P.M me the addy details.

In very simple terms to answer your original question.

A turbo charger pressurises the air going into the engine, a blow off valve is used to release this pressurised air to prevent the turbo stalling. The noise a BOV makes is the pressurised air being released.

A naturally aspirated engine sucks in the air at normal atmospheric pressure, you could physically fit a BOV on an NA engine, but as the air is not under pressure nothing would happen.

P.S Nic i will be getting those covers sent to you soon can you P.M me the addy details.

I've got a bit of a problem with the coating at the moment, the company I use to use are no longer in business, so I've been looking for an alternative supplier. PM me in a couple of weeks hopefully by then I should have sorted something out.

hey mate, I wasn't offending you or anything, just a bit strange that anybody would want the car to go 'tiiiis' when it doesn't have a turbo. As already mentioned the bov does this noise to release pressure, why would you want that on an n/a? If you are still wanting the sound you could get one of these http://www.potn.co.uk/-_c5211_6366_p1617000.htm Ive heard one in real life, you can tell it is fake as the tone is the same if you were at say 500revs to 5000revs.

i have just noticed a lot recently that a lot N/A questions go un noticed

The problem is the reason most of the questions go unanswered is because majority of the time it is 'I have an NA and I want more power', which people aren't really going to answer because the answer is always the same.

However, if some have slipped through by all means post them up again.