The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Water to air intercoolers???

Guest Nicholas

On the Mr2's i highly recommend these over any intercooler system due to the placement of the engine but they do not use the system linked above.

One key element with water to air intercoolers in making sure there is enough water in the system. Only downside is with more water becomes more weight.

Im not sure it would be better than an intercooler on a 2jzgte though due to the length between the core and the radiator would be very small and feel the charge heat would overwelm the water temp. You would need to play around with the water pump speeds to get the perfect setup.

Too fast - the water travels too fast through the radiator and its does not cool the water but the water does not become to heat soaked by the core.

Too slow - The water will cool alot more in the rad but then the water will heat up alot more as the charge temps cook it.

Ryan.

I have one of these charge air coolers & high flow Bosch pump (190L/hour) if anyone's interested? Pics can be supplied.

Just needs a small radiator & header tank to completely replace an intercooler.

I know a few mr2 owners that would be interested espically Toyotagt as they do ALOT of work with them.

Spearco are considered good air to water cores, Jabsco make good pumps, and you can use the Lotus Esprit turbo or Toyota GT4 turbo ones, too. A big oil cooler makes a good water to air heat exchanger with sensible pipe size stubs. I have never heard of the make you cite, so would err on suggesting you use stuff that's tried and tested over here. I can get proper race water to air heat exchangers made if you want something special. They'll be VERY expensive though, as it'll be a bespoke set up.

Finally I think I still have access to a proper TTE Group A GT4 turbo air to water intercooler and kit, for anyone seriously into modding those, or wanting something different for an MR2 turbo. It was well over a grand though, as it also has historical value.