The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HELP! Car wont start

TrevS

Hi everyone

I have just tried to start my car and it wont fire up. When I turn the ignition key theres a very fast clicking sound coming from the engine but it doesn't sound like the engine is trying to start at all.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Trev

Mine was doing this. Put it down originally so changed it. Was great for a couple of days then it started again. Check your starter motor to see if the conectors need cleaning. I bought a new one for mine and alls good now. Though it could be other things causing it, someone more technical will soon let you know. Try a search also, there have been a few threads on this over the last couple of months alone.

Right tried to start it again and as i am turning the igintion and press the horn the horn goes dull which makes me think its the battery.

I read this post about different batterys and it sounds like a heavy duty halfords battery is the one to get as you get a good warranty on them.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=30238&highlight=clicking&page=3

Would you all agree or is there a prefered battery for these cars

Right I think i am going to get a halfords hcb005.

However over the next month its likely that the supra is going to be stood still and only run about twice. So is it just worth leaving it as it is now and getting the new battery when I need it as I have heard a few stories of new batteries draining quickly so i could be back in this situation again.

You are better off charging the battery for 24 hrs and see if it starts 1st. Then you will now its the battery.

When you start it, if you battery light stays on then you may have an alternator problem causing the battery to run flat, either a dodgy connection or a new alternator, if you only drive the car now and then it's probably just the battery.

This might sound a bit stupid but i haven't changed a battery for a good few years so can someone remind which lead i need to remove first + or - and also which order you reattach them.

If theres a website with a walkthrough thats great also does the supra have any special connectors etc and if so what tools will in need to remove/attach the new battery?

Right where to start, fitting that battery nearly killed me yesterday.

This is what happened:

- I went to halfords and bought a hcb005 battery for £79.99

- Got home and removed the old battery which looked a lot smaller than the new one. The old battery was an elite battery for japanese cars.

- Then I looked at the connector and the new battery terminals and realised the connectors are a LOT smaller than I needed.

- Tried to fit the battery but sure enough the connectors were too small. After some 'handy work' from my brother which involved a hammer and 2 screw drivers we managed to expand the connectors enough to fit around the terminals.

- Tested the car and it fired up a treat

- Went to refit the battery brace on top. Oh, yes because the battery is much wider that didn't fit either. So my brother once again took it upon himself to find his trusty hammer and flaten one of the brace edges to make it fit.

Started with a lovely clean engine bay requiring a new battery. Ended up with a new battery, half a battery brace and needing new connectors that will fit a UK battery.

Never again!

I took a picture of our handy work and you can see the problem for yourselves

wish i'd seen this earlier............

the later supras seem to have these smaller terminals, batteries and clamps........

The battery you bought is fine for the earlier cars, so its not important to get a uk or jap clamp just one from the right year 93-95/6

One of the terminals is easily replaced the other i 'think' has a fair chunk of loom that its part of...........

Hi again

Could someone on here who has a halfords hcb005 battery please measure the width of the battery (front to back) as I need to get a new brace and I have been offered one that is just slightly over 176mm but i want to make sure that this big enough.

I would do this myself but my car is not currently with me

Many thanks