The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Removing Window Tint

xanderroan

Probably the wrong category, sorry - but wasn't sure where to post for general advice.

Somebody has made a bit of a mess of applying window tint to the supra before I owned it, just wondering if anyone has some tips on how to remove it.

I read on the web the stuff has two layers and it's tuff to get the second one off, some websites say to spray / soak the glass in ammonia before trying to peel off.. any practical experience in the club?

• 4 months later...

I'll bump this thread rather than create a new one, as it's strangely appropriate (I'm removing the tint on what was xanderroan's car).

I attempted to remove the rear window tint this evening - I don't have a heat gun so had a go with a hair dryer. Most of the top later came off (the easy to remove one) with some of the second layer - while I was peeling gently the top layer mostly just fell away :(. Where the second layer did come off it's left a glue residue which white spirit didn't seem to want to shift.

Does anyone have any recommendations for getting the second layer off? I spent a while with a hair dryer warming a section up then attempting to peel it off - very tedious. I got perhaps 1/6 of the window done and packed it in for the night, and there's still plenty of glue in that area.

I almost wish I had left the damn stuff on, but it did look awful and I couldn't see much out of it!

I got a rag and just dabbed it on as I needed it, then as I was rolling over the sticky stuff with a rag it would become lose and roll into balls then id use scraper if i wanted. I was doing it on a hot day and it was evaporating quicker then i could use it. :D

I used neat stuff and not nail varnish lol

I got a rag and just dabbed it on as I needed it, then as I was rolling over the sticky stuff with a rag it would become lose and roll into balls then id use scraper if i wanted. I was doing it on a hot day and it was evaporating quicker then i could use it. :D

I'll keep that in mind because im thinking about removing mine in the near future...:)

I'll hunt some out (not sure where to buy some) and give it a go, thanks ;).

My rear window tint had rippled so badly I couldn't see out of it when it got here from Japan. I took it to Sunguard near Banbury to get it re-done. They said it too ages to get the old stuff off.

If you're not sure about getting the old off or are having problems maybe it's the same as the tint I had on and a real pain to remove. I tried to get a bit off before I admitted defeat and took it to the pros! Glad I did after they told me even they struggled!

Normally it should just be a case of heating it and peeling off in one. They hadn't had this problem before but did a stunning job getting the old off and the new on. Cost £90 for the rear window. Just had the fronts done last week for £40 each side. May not be the cheapest around but a faultless job.