The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Whirring Clutch !

Dyer864

Hi all ! took my car yesterday to get new exhaust fitted,at local garage where i know the guy, said leave it with us and come back in a couple of hours and we'll fit it when it's quiet ! no probs, i ring 3hrs later and all is fitted, £25 and pay's up. takes car for spin to see what noise the exhaust makes and boot's it down the dual and parks up in layby, stationary with car running i hear a whirring noise, never heard before and thought wot the F--k is that, couldn't understand where it was coming from,then i suddenly dipped the clutch and noise had gone, kept dipping clutch noise was going, parked up outside house , got out and could smell a burning smell, thought f--k, so went out today to work and whirring is getting louder ! so has someone at garage F--ked around with my car, hammering it or messed around with something i dont know about, or it's just fate it happend at this particular time ! and what seems to be the problem with clutch on the way out or some kind of bearing gone ? anyone !

got mine from envy standard toyota equipment very good price cheapest i could find but ive got the same thing but mines only just (500 miles ago) had a full toyota clutch, clutch plate & bearing from envy & a slave cylinder from toyota. mine started whirring after about a month of it being fitted! asked envy for a new replacement release bearing but im unsure if it is the bearing as mine only does it now and again! it does go away when you dip the clutch very slightly. got MOT on sat by the garage that fitted it so im waiting to see what they think!

What you describe, stationary in neutral is gearbox noise.

I've been looking on a few other threads concerning this and I must say that I'm a bit confused. Most of the people seem to be suggesting a worn clutch release or thrust bearing. The sound seems to be coming from underneath the engine, between the engine and the middle of the chassis. It occurs only when in neutral with clutch pedal depressed. A slight pression on the clutch pedal makes de noise stop. The noise follows engine revs.

I've been looking on a few other threads concerning this and I must say that I'm a bit confused. Most of the people seem to be suggesting a worn clutch release or thrust bearing. The sound seems to be coming from underneath the engine, between the engine and the middle of the chassis. It occurs only when in neutral with clutch pedal depressed. A slight pression on the clutch pedal makes de noise stop. The noise follows engine revs.

It does make a slight noise when in neutral and you dip the clutch it goes - I have had 2 and they ahve always done that. Even after new clutches still the same minimal whirr. Depends on how loud it is really. Might be worrying over nothing - if it is getting louder it is the release bearing :(