The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gto/3000gt

supraspeed

I drove a couple of GTO's a few years ago when looking for a supra. In stock form they went okay in a straight line, nothing to write home about, but the handling was awful, you feel every one of those (very large) pounds they weigh.

By all means, get a test drive in one and take it for a nice straight drive (where it should be nice) and a twisty road (where is will handle like custard). Form your own opinion.

Guest WullieC

I was also considering one of these instead of a supra, the GTO is the jap version which is always the 4wd one (its the VR4 model) the 3000GT is the UK version and not all are 4wd (thats my understanding)

i haven't test drove one but i did spot one the other night and its a very imposing car, very very long and sleek, nice looking motor :cool:

best thing to do is have a shot :)

especially with 4wd. each to their own i suppose.

4wd in itself does not make a car handle nor grip well. The GTO is okay compared to most cars on the road, but it shouldn't even be considered as being anywhere near other sporty 4wd jap cars like the Scooby/Evo when discussing 4wd. It's a GT cruiser, not a rally machine, which makes the 4wd pretty pointless IMO

They also have a habit of VERY expensive transmission failures in 4WD form. Saying they are a nightmare to work on is an understatement! My wife thinks they look great, that about says it all.....

I heard the 4-wheel-steering system (back wheels are actively steered slightly?) is/was a common failure point, expensive to 'fix' but never quite the same after it had broke. Not sure why the latter part of that sentence would be true.

I owned one for about 1 year. Yes they handle really well but all the fun is taken out of the drive as you dont have the feel of speed or any kind of feedback to the driver. Also they are silly expensive to tune to get any kind of power out of and yes like others have said very expensive when things go wrong which they do.

They are all 4wd and fancy 4 wheel steering system.... or so I thought.

I think they look nice but expensive to fix when they go wrong, which is quite often, and working on them is such a pain. I believe replacing the turbo's is an engine out job.

You can replace them with the engine in.., if you take the plenum chamber and all the inlet piping... the rear one is the worse and is the one that often goes.. the j-spec ones use 9b turbo's which generally wont' hold any more than .8bar of boost....

They are all 4wd and fancy 4 wheel steering system.... or so I thought.

I think they look nice but expensive to fix when they go wrong, which is quite often, and working on them is such a pain. I believe replacing the turbo's is an engine out job.

They did a 2WD (front wheel drive) none turbo one, which is by far the most reliable if you like the look but not the expense.

If your looking for something a bit cheaper than a decent new evo/lancer, I used to drive a GT-Four before the Supra and thought it was a lovely car. Maybe a little underpowered as standard, but light in comparison to the GTO, handled extremely well in rain/snow and probably could be quite fun if tuned, some of them look pretty good too.. my old one did :Dhttp://www.alex-roan.net/Ride/Original%20Files/DSCF0318.JPG