The mkiv Supra Owners Club

De-catting - the ins and outs?

Firestorm

hey people, okay so reading up im now trying to find out about de-catting my supra.

Can someone tell me the legalitys of this? as far as i was aware de-catting ur car was illegal- where as some people seem to say it isnt. i already have a Blitz Nurspec Catback exhaust on already, but if i wanna BPU i need to de-cat? so any advice in this area would be good

oh and frm a previous post- do i need to worry about the warning light of the car wiht the 3 lines coming off the back(rear lamp faliure ? (i think)

thanks

Pete

the warning light is the cat tempreture sensor AFAIK

you can pass an mot with the 2nd cat still in place, but its the 1st cat which is the most restrictive

Depending on the age and if its an import, your car will pass the MOT with without CATs, According To MOT rules Import car up to 1995 do not need cats fitted for MOT's - not all MOT places know this.

rite okay kewl, well mines a 1994 so i guess i might get away with it?

as for this cat sensor thing-how worried should i be lol and how do i fix it so goes off- liturally only came on yesterday- been running fine all the time. i dont rag it so me confuzled? still learning- (sorry im a newbie)

rite okay kewl, well mines a 1994 so i guess i might get away with it?

as for this cat sensor thing-how worried should i be lol and how do i fix it so goes off- liturally only came on yesterday- been running fine all the time. i dont rag it so me confuzled? still learning- (sorry im a newbie)

it only goes off if the CAT gets hot, mine is cable tied up out of the way :D

Yep, the foglight can be added on as a horrible stick-on light to the bumper like you see on Mazdas etc, or, as I suspect is the case on yours, that one pair of the stop/tail-lights is converted to come on separately as foglights. This tends to make the warning light go off when you hit the brakes - do a search for foglight conversion, I think a certain capacitor added will solve the problem, but, as I say, I just took the friggin bulb out :)

you sir a freakin genius! i breathe a sigh of relief safely knowing that my supra is still all good! hehe!ill look into it and get on the job! fantastic! i will get some Pics up of the beauty probably 2moro i think now.

rite so now the sensor is thing is done- de-catting the car now is gotta be the way forward-can somone point me in the direction of a reputable seller/product on which to look at changing.again any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Depending on the age and if its an import, your car will pass the MOT with without CATs, According To MOT rules Import car up to 1995 do not need cats fitted for MOT's - not all MOT places know this.

Hi, just wondering where you got this info from so i can use it when i take cats out and take car for MOT?

Hi, just wondering where you got this info from so i can use it when i take cats out and take car for MOT?

I spoke to the MOT bloke about it, and explained the rule to me. If you do a search on the net for MOT rules/reg its in there.

Most MOT garages are not interested if your car is CAT exepmt, if its 93 onward it must have a CAT fitted.

but if its pre 95 (mine being a 94) and imported then i can have it de-catted?

but then if u get pulled by VOSA and they do a road side emmissions test u get badgered!

Yes can be de-catted, in MOT rules for import cars no cat is required, this written down on paperm so VOSA have to play by those rules.

right, i think this is the bit

"The vehicle will be tested according to its age from first use-The only exemption to this is if the vehicle owner can present to the tester at time of test a letter from the vehicle manufacturer stating that the particular engine as originally installed could not meet the equivalent British emission standards. If this is the case, then test to the next lower emission standard.

e.g. A 1995 car first used in Africa has a letter from the engine manufacturer stating that the particular engine (engine number to be stated) cannot meet Catalyst emission limits, then use the pre cat limits of CO 3.5%, HC )200ppm"

this is taken from the MOT testers hand book.

Now you car can be proven as in import because of the VIN plate, as its an import the engine doesnt meet UK standard, hence they should use pre-cat limits.

Right okay well then i guess the plan is to decatt the supra and finish off the BPU. ive already got the Nur spec Cat back on it already.

would anyone recommend me straight swapping the stock turbos ive got on now for the VVTI supra ones ive got- unless someone wants to buy them off me- only done like 20k on them? i guess then i can look to gettting bigger turbos :D

ps all imports - the paperwork will say thats its imported- and will say when it was reg in uk- i guess u can use that as proof rite?