The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice needed.

AlexJames

.... ok, some advice needed here lads :rolleyes:

I've just been reading some of the threads about blowing turbos which has got me a little concerned.

My RZ is running standard turbos with both cats still in. A boost controller which I can change the output from 0.8 bar to 1.1 bar when ever I like, and a HKS Priest exhaust.

By my guess work I should be nearing 340bhp?

I have just brought a FMIC, and a downpipe that gets rid of the 1st cat (closest to engine) but leaves the 2nd one(closest to back box) in... will this cause undue stress for the turbos? :rolleyes:

hhheeelllpppp...

you shouldnt "really" run higher than stock boost with both cats installed due to the resistance causing High exhaust gas temp's (EGT's) which can be damaging to the turbo.

please sombody correct me if im incorrect

First decat is a little better for 1bar sort of area but a 1.2 increase should have both cats removed

righty, so I really need to get rid the middle cat (where can I get a cheap decat from?) I guess if I installed the FMIC and the downpipe that would get rid of some of the EGT's?

Whats the stock turbo output?

The stock turbo's output is 0.8 bar

the EGT is only seen at the hotside of the turbo, its the intake temps which the intercooler cools, so thats not the same

Decats can be purchased from most traders on here, whiftbitz, envy ETC

Please wait for sombody elses input though as i could be incorrect about some things

the EGT is only seen at the hotside of the turbo, its the intake temps which the intercooler cools, so thats not the same

Yeah sorry I wasnt clear on that, heh, I understand what an intercooler does etc... just I didn't know if the added bhp increase from addin the FMIC would increas the restricted heat... heh :) thanks for your help though! :) appreciated !:):)

basically, more boost you run, higher the EGT's. a single decat shouldnt effect it that much, but by removing one of the cats the boost will rise anyway as part of the restriction has been removed. On stock turbos i belive the MAX boost you should run is 1.2 regardless if you have cats or not.

I don't know exactly what you can get away with but to be honest you should be doing BPU properly - ie uprated fuel pump, colder spark plugs and as already mentioned remove the cats to lower EGT's.

It's a lot cheaper to do these things in the first place than to replace blown turbos at a later date instead. ;)

Besides, do all the above and get an exhaust and you're looking at 400bhp! with the FMIC :)