The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Using a line lock and switch postition

cheekymonkey

I've not seen a line lock install in the flesh yet but I plan to install mine as soon as we get some more nice weather :)

I am ditching the ugly switch provided in my Hurst kit and going with a stonking big red button I got from Maplins :cool:

My only question is where to put it? I am thinking in the centre console, near to the gear stick so it will be operated with my left hand like this:

- Apply brakes

- Clutch down, first gear

- Hold down button and release brake pedal

- Get revs up and clutch biting

- Release the button as soon as I get a green light :D

Or do you guys think it will be better to have the switch operated by my right hand so I can select first gear *after* the brakes are locked?

Once the button is released do the brakes release instantly?

We have our button in the centre glovebox, behind the gearstick on a bit of wire 40-50cm long so it can be held in the hand (easiest).

Hmmm. I hadn't thought of a hand-held switch. Not a bad idea really.

I'm now thinking of a 3.5mm plug and socket so I can detach the control completely for safety when I don't need it.

My original plan was to be able to completely isolate the line lock with a key-operated switch in the centre console, which I may still do.

Hmmm what about a mouth operated switch to enable true hands free operation :D

• 2 months later...
So you're using this to actually launch the car then? Rather than just for burnouts?

Not sure TBH - maybe not to "launch" the car (stock clutch!!) but perhaps to prevent rolling forward when I get the biting point. Like a handbrake that releases really quickly.

That said, I don't pretend to actually know what I'm talking about, so if drag pros want to tell me how it's done then great :)

I think to get better launches something like launch control/2 step limiter would be a lot more effective. The way I understand it line lock is good for big controllable burnouts as you have full throttle control without left foot braking. Launching with this wouldn't be any better than using the handbrake IMO.

I think to get better launches something like launch control/2 step limiter would be a lot more effective. The way I understand it line lock is good for big controllable burnouts as you have full throttle control without left foot braking.

Yep, I'm have RLTC going on next week with LC, Admittedly the Line Lock was an impulse buy off here (never browse Parts For Sale after 2am when drunk :)) but it's very effective for burnouts, which is in itself an expensive problem :)

Be aware that you should have a switch that turn your line lock on (Rear wheels), then a seperate switch to hold the brakes (i've got a switch on my gear stick), which is then released to allow you to move forward (unlocks rear breaks), you will then need to switch your rear brakes back on before moving off.

Otherwise when you press your break pedal there willl be no rear breaks :(

Be aware that you should have a switch that turn your line lock on (Rear wheels), then a seperate switch to hold the brakes (i've got a switch on my gear stick), which is then released to allow you to move forward (unlocks rear breaks), you will then need to switch your rear brakes back on before moving off.

Otherwise when you press your break pedal there willl be no rear breaks :(

Ermm.. I don't quite follow!

My line lock is tapped in to the front brake line - it's not touching the rear brakes at all. When I hold the button, the solenoid isolates the front brakes, and when I release the button everything goes back to normal.

Sounds like you're talking about isolating the rear brakes, not sure how useful that would be unless you're on a front wheel drive car :)

So how does it isolate the front brakes?

IMO you want to disable the rear brakes, when applying the line lock it disables the rear system allowing front brakes to lock the front wheels only.

That would be why i have a red button that lights up tells me the line lock solenoid is active meaning rear brakes are disabled :) the switch on my gear stick then hold the system under pressure (front brakes only) when pressure is applied by the foot pedal, by releasing this button the pressure is released allowing the front brake to disable and the car move.

Tell me if i'm wrong and please explain how it works on fronts as i would be very interested to know :)

Sounds like you'd need two solenoids for that to work, and you'd probably get awfully confused :)

The way a line lock kit works is it's tapped in to the front brakes, and...

1. Press and hold brake pedal - both rears and fronts are pressurised

2. Hold down line lock button - front brake system isolated whilst under pressure (this holds the fronts ON)

3. Release brake pedal - pressure is released from the rear brakes but fronts remain on because of the solenoid = burnouty goodness!

As soon as you release the button the pressure in the front brakes is released and you can move.

EDIT: Are you sure your first red button isn't just a master "ARM" switch/warning to make sure you don't activate the line lock inadvertantly? That's probably what I am going to do, else if the line lock it activated accidentally during normal driving then I'd have no front brakes...