The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Changing power steering reservoir?

Scoboblio

Since mine's got a blockage I'm changing my PS reservior tomorow morning. I'm thinking it's a case of taking off the pipes, catching the fluid that comes out, unbolting it, changing for the new one, filling up with fresh fluid and bleeding the air out.... job done right? ;)

Or is it? Anyone have any experiences they'd like to share?

here's what i'd do.............

use a syringe to remove the contents of the reservoir to below the level of the return pipe. Remove the return pipe and attach a bigger bore tube and run this over the wing into a container.

If you then turn the car over (if it catches and starts turn off immediately!) to further drop the fluid level and leave the reservoir empty (be careful here - if your happy clearing up the mess just remove it as is.......)

once the new reservior if fitted, fit a plug/bung to the return inlet on it, gently refill this to near the brim. Then fit a bottle (500ml coke bottle will do) to use as an extension to the reservior (gaffa tape it on - keep a close eye on this and don't completely fill up the bottle with new fluid just go 1/3 1/2 way up it)

Then its on/off with the ignition and refilling the extension/reservoir as required, taking care to not let the level of the fluid fall too much (disappearing from view on the extention bottle is ok, just not much lower)

NB The fluid disappears rapidly, far faster than i expected first time around!

Basically carry on with the on/off until the return tube running to your container flows new fluid. Then do another on/off cycle to get the fluid level down into the new reservoir, remove bottle, syringe out the new fluid to below the return feed, remove bung and replace original return pipe and refill the reservoir.

The syringing of the reservoir means less mess and that you can take your time refitting the tight'ish pipes.

Bleeding can be a pain in the aris.

Leave the cap just resting on and let run for a min or 2.

If no joy, then give the wheel a good few turns. It should go in the end but the last one i had changed we had to pierce the filter.

:yeahthat: Took ages to bleed. Car jacked up, turning from lock to lock with engine on and off, cleared it eventually though.:D