The mkiv Supra Owners Club

turbos shattered

spiderpigcity

just to let you know my turbos shattered yesterday at 70mph at 1 bar boost. there was no black or blue smoke and no bang. took the first cat off today and it was full of bits of my impellers.

must be put down to hks engine rebuild and engine mods

was dyno at 350 bhp with 1st cat still in place, the day before (maybe the dyno caused it, who knows). i wish i had taken it off and put the decat on sooner, obviously too much pressure trying to get through the cat.

anyway from my experience dont run above stock with 1st cat in place.:(

just to let you know my turbos shattered yesterday at 70mph at 1 bar boost. there was no black or blue smoke and no bang. took the first cat off today and it was full of bits of my impellers.

must be put down to hks engine rebuild and engine mods

was dyno at 350 bhp with 1st cat still in place, the day before (maybe the dyno caused it, who knows). i wish i had taken it off and put the decat on sooner, obviously too much pressure trying to get through the cat.

anyway from my experience dont run above stock with 1st cat in place.:(

1bar with cats in = high EGT's which probably did it

1bar with cats in = high EGT's which probably did it

only first cat in, second one gone. still running 350 bhp for 1st cat in though. the idea was to dyno before with 1st cat on and then after with full decat and boost to 1.2bar. was gona be happy with 400bhp+ on second dyno got the first bit done but the second bit never happened.

have no choice but single t61 i think. do it myself over next few months. i have all the kit and garage etc. im in no rush. don't seem to see a lot of success with standards bpu. thats prob why people go single is it? i will be happy with 450bhp plus not been greedy. you cant really use more than that on the road, and i don't care how good you think your driving is anything more than that is uncontrolable on the track unless your name is stiggy.

my mate owns a touring car team and he always says 300bhp is enough if you know how to drive!

to really piss me off there was and egt sensor in the exhaust when we took cat off and the other end was disconnected in the trans tunnel under carpet. looks like there was one mounted on a pillar at some time. if only i had put a gauge in i would have known what was happening. this is obviously one of the first mods i would do on bpu if i was new to it all.

infact i would fit afr and egt gauge before anything.

the car has been highly tuned at some point cos i found all the harnesses under the glove box yesterday for all sorts of stuff. one of the previous owners obviusly took the ecu, boost controller etc, etc out before selling the car.

anyway im gonna read about t61 conversions for a bit. so anyone with fitting instructions and expected time in days to do the job pm me or reply on here. i would be glad to hear from you all including any precautions i need to take before i f**ck it up.

regards

matt

:D:D

This is the same as me at the mo....my 1st cat is still in place running at 1-1.1 with no boost controller so off the wastegate, now ive read this I may invest in a meth/water injection kit to keep EGT's down

thats really just "patching the pipe" mate, the first thing i would do is get an EGT gauge, then you either need to remove the cat or lower the boost, but saying all that i ran my j-spec at about a bar for a year and a bit with the first cat in