The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Intakes pipes with oil in them

cheekymonkey

I was replacing the top intake hose yesterday, to get rid of the stupid blue fake-samco ebay thing I fitted about 6 months ago.

This pipe was fairly slick with oil on the inside, it felt sticky but not liquid. The pipe was brand new 6 months ago so I know it's come from the last 6 months of driving, 3000 miles max.

Is this normal for a 13 year old car, or am I playing the waiting game now until I'm forced to go single / rebuild my engine? :)

I was replacing the top intake hose yesterday, to get rid of the stupid blue fake-samco ebay thing I fitted about 6 months ago.

This pipe was fairly slick with oil on the inside, it felt sticky but not liquid. The pipe was brand new 6 months ago so I know it's come from the last 6 months of driving, 3000 miles max.

Is this normal for a 13 year old car, or am I playing the waiting game now until I'm forced to go single / rebuild my engine? :)

i think its normal as there will always be oil mist in the system, some people use catch cans to help with this:)

I noticed this with the intercooler pipes. A fine coating of oil on all interior surfaces.

My focus tdci has loaaaads of oil in the intercooler pipes. maybe 3 times more then the supra even though its done 1/3 of the miles the supra has.

As long as it is only a fine mist or a bit of a coat I dont think there is much to worry about.

You can use either one of the breather hoses that exit from the left, (goes into intake pipe) although you shouldn't really be getting appreciable amounts of oil through this, unless there is something wrong, ie heavy breathing due to ring/bore ware.

Or/and the pipe on the right hand cam cover is routed to the plenum via a one way valve and only vents when there is a vacuum, ie low load, off boost, this one seems to vet a fair bit of oil as when the intake runners are removed there is usually a small puddle of oil in each one.

Don't forget to block the intake if you do fit a catch can.